Chapter 6

Rameen

I looked at the report from the forensic department aghast. The two investigating officers were sitting in front of me and examining me with their piercing gaze.

"Mrs. Kamal, the fire at your site was not an accident, it was arson," The older among the two officers named Inspector Ranawat, said.

"But, who would do that?" I was startled.

Arson? Why would anyone want to harm our site? Who would want to tarnish the image of our firm? I couldn't remember anyone who could be holding such a grudge against us.

"It could be anyone, Mrs. Kamal, your competitor, or an old foe. The insurance company may even accuse your firm of deliberately setting fire to the site, because of the hefty amount of the insurance," the younger officer, whose name was Haroon, replied.

"That's ridiculous, our firm is among the top consultancy firms in the country. Why would we stoop so low for such a petty amount?" I glared at the two of them.

If they were thinking they could get away by accusing our firm, they couldn't be more wrong. I will slap them with a defamation suit.

"We will let you know if anything comes up in the investigation. For now, I would advise you and your husband to be careful. If someone is out there trying to harm the reputation of your firm, they won't hesitate to harm you," Inspector Ranawat stood up with a curt nod.

J dialed Waleed after they had left, he was visiting our resort in Munnar, Kerala. There had been some complaints coming regarding the Manager of the resort and Waleed had wanted to go and investigate himself.

He had been traveling a lot these days. I would get worried about his health due to the workload, but Waleed was not the kind of guy who would slow down.

"Babes," he said as soon as he received the call.

"Waleed there is something I wanted to tell you," I rotated the paperweight in my hand.

"What is it?" Waleed's tone changed, he sensed my worried tone.

"The fire at the Khandelwal site, it was Arson," I said, wondering about his reaction.

There was silence on the other end of the call for a few moments, I could hear Waleed's heavy breathing on the other end. It was the only sign that he had not disconnected the call.

"Are you sure?"

"The two officers handling the case just left. They have handed over a detailed report on their findings," I replied.

"This is not a good, Rameen," Waleed said.

The only time he said my name was when he was stressed. I knew this was not easy for him. Three generations of his family had spent their lives, building this firm and its reputation, and now someone was out there trying to destroy it. Waleed would take over the operation of our consultancy again. He was not the kind of man who trusted others easily. Still, he had given me the charge of our firm and I had been handling it well for the last four years.

"Waleed, I think you should take over the firm," I suggested it before he could say it himself.

"Come on, Mia, I trust you with my life, do you think the firm is more important to me than you? You are handling it better than me, I Know, you will handle this incident as well. Make sure to arrange a meeting with the insurance company, the first thing tomorrow. Saad can help you with it, he has good terms with the CEO of that company," Waleed said.

"Okay, I will speak to Saad. One more thing Wail," I halted, "What is it?" Waleed asked on the other end.

"I miss you. I wish you were here with me," I replied.