The Guillotine: Test

Test your knowledge:

1 - Who was Cesare Beccaria?

   1. An Italian jurist, philosopher and economist who spoke out against the legal tradition and criminal legislation of his time.

   2. A French jurist, philosopher and economist who had the brilliant idea of inventing the guillotine.

   3. An Italian jurist, philosopher and economist who criticised the use of the guillotine.

2 - Who wrote "On Crimes and Punishments"?

   1. Voltaire;

   2. Cesare Beccaria;

   3. Emilio Papiniano;

3 - What was the guillotine?

   1. An instrument with a large blade, invented by a hairdresser with no talent with scissors, to cut his customers' hair faster and more cheaply. Unfortunately, the contraption did not work very well and ended up severing the heads of adventurous clients.

   2. A large instrument with a sharp blade, invented to cut vegetables faster in the kitchen.

   3. An official instrument of execution in France, widely used during the French Revolution.

4 - Which of the options below points out three illustrious characters in history who lost their heads on the guillotine?

   1. Abraham Lincoln ; Voltaire ; Jean-Jacques Rousseau ;

   2. Maximilien de Robespierre ; Georges Danton ; Napoléon Bonaparte ;

   3. Marie Antoinette ; Lavoisier ; Georges Danton ;

5 - In what year did they abolish the death penalty in France?

   1. 1789.

   2. 1981.

   3. 1881.

6 - Which of the options below points out three countries where the death penalty is still legally applied?

   1. China; Brazil; India.

   2. Singapore; Iran; Denmark.

   3. United States of America; Turkey; Indonesia.

7 - What does the term "delinquent" mean?

   1. Someone who dirty the streets.

   2. Someone who commits any act against the law.

   3. someone who steals.

8 - What did the Frenchman Diderot do that was important?

   1. wrote the first encyclopaedia in history and called it "Encyclopédie", which is why we have adopted the same name for future publications of the same kind.

   2. Wrote an encyclopaedia where he listed all the people who were guillotined.

   3. He wrote a new penal code called "Of Offences and Penalties";

9 - What is a satire?

   1. A literary composition that debauches, ridicules customs of an epoch or of society.

   2. A mythological figure from Greece.

   3. A joyful musical composition that talks about the funny customs of the time of the French revolution.

10 - Which of the options below briefly describes who Maximilien de Robespierre was?

   1. French lawyer and politician, he was the builder of the Conciergerie prison and the guillotine.

  2. French lawyer and politician, advocated along with Beccaria the rampant use of the guillotine during the regime of terror.

   3. French lawyer and politician, was one of the most important personalities of the French Revolution.

11 - Which of these famous phrases is attributed to Lavoisier?

   1. "If the revolution is wrong then the king is right, but if the revolution is right then the king is wrong".

   2. "In Nature nothing is created, nothing is lost, everything is transformed".

   3. "The world will never be tranquil until the patriotism of the human race is extinguished".