XI

In retrospect, getting a fake boyfriend could have been more exciting. There were no dramatic entrances or exits, no tears, no broken hearts: just a video call and Changbin's sister asking kind questions and asking Felix for conditioner recommendations. By the end of the call, his sister was half in love with Felix, and over text threatened physical violence towards Changbin if he ever did something to hurt Felix. Changbin was alright with that.

Chan, however, looked at him in silence when Changbin told him of the new arrangement.

"What?" Changbin demanded.

"I just realised," Chan said quietly, "that if Felix breaks your heart you'll let him walk all over what's left of you."

Changbin didn't reply.

"Have you thought about asking him to date you for real?" Chan asked, voice soft.

"He doesn't want to date," Changbin murmured. He turned to the small bottle of hand sanitizer in front of him. He carefully sprayed it into his hands, then massaged it into his skin on his palms and fingers and thumbs, the way all those hand sanitising ads showed.

The smell of disinfectant was slowly getting addicting.

"Look," Chan began, "I would die for Felix. Literally. He's adorable and wonderful. Obviously. I've met him. He gives me brownies too, you know? But you're sad now."

"Maybe a bit," Changbin admitted. "I mean, the fake ex thing was just a thing to help him, you know? Unfortunate, but I never regretted it. Now I can't stop thinking about what would have happened if I had just asked to date him for real instead of agreeing to this."

Chan wrapped him in a warm hug.

"Having feelings for someone sucks," Changbin said into Chan's shirt.

"Yeah," Chan chuckled, "but you're not alone in this. 3Racha is on your side and if any of our chaotic neighbours are insensitive, Jisung and I got your back. Not to mention Felix, too."

"Thanks, hyung."