Chapter 7

It was early in the morning at base, around 4 am and Atsuki was getting ready for a jog around the park near the base. As he headed out of his room, he noticed that there was someone who was already awake and decided to talk to her.

Atsuki: "Hello Kaga. What are you up to this early?"

Kaga: "I was planning to do some target practice with the others. Do you want to join us? I heard that you are good at archery, commander."

Atsuki: "Thank you for the offer but I was planning to get some exercise in before I start the day."

Kaga: "I see. Well, I shouldn't keep you waiting."

Atsuki: "Alright then, I'll be going now."

And with that, Atsuki left her and went to the park.

When he arrived, he began to do some stretches before he started running. After he was all warmed up, he began his run.

A few hours later...

The sun was starting to rise as Atsuki finished his run. After resting for a bit, he went to a convenience store to buy a drink. After buying his drink and a few other stuff, he went back to the base. As he was walking there, he saw a homeless man sleeping on a bench. Seeing the man in that condition, he took out a bottle of water and a piece of bread he bought and placed it next to him. After doing so, he continued his walk to the base but what he didn't know is that someone was watching him.

When he arrived at the base, he was greeted by Haruna at the entrance.

Haruna: "Commander, where have you been?!"

Atsuki: "I was out for a run. Is something wrong?"

Haruna: "Yes! Did you forget about yesterday?"

Atsuki: "Yesterday... Oh, I remember, we planned to continue the work we had... yesterday."

Atsuki stood there frozen as he remembered tha promise they made yesterday.

Haruna: "Jeez commander, you can be so forgetful sometimes."

Atsuki: "...Sorry." he said as he scratched the back of his head.

Haruna: "Fine then, Haruna will forgive you this time but don't forget next time."

Atsuki: "I will."

Haruna: "Okay, now that that's settled, you should hurry up and get ready for today. I'll be waiting at the office."

Atsuki: "Yes ma'am."

After scolding Atsuki, Haruna went back to the office.

Atsuki: *sigh*

???: "I see you that Haruna gave you quite the scolding."

Atsuki: "Huh? Oh, it's you, Kirishima. Yeah, she did."

Kirishima: "Haruna is usually reserved so seeing her get that emotional was a surprise."

Atsuki: "Is that so?"

Kirishima: "Mhm, that just means that she cares about you and she was angry that you didn't keep your promise."

Atsuki: "..."

Kirishima: "That being said, don't overthink it. She's the type of person who can easily forgive, especially if it's you commander."

Atsuki: "Why is that?"

Kirishima then turned to him and placed her finger in front of her lips.

Kirishima: "That's a secret."

After saying that, she left Atsuki.

What was that all about? I guess I shouldn't overthink it he thought as he went to his room to prepare for the day.

After getting ready, Atsuki went out of his room and headed towards his office. When he arrived, he opened the door and saw Haruna sleeping on her desk.

I guess she did wake up a little early he thought as he walked up to her.

Atsuki: "Haruna, wake up. You shouldn't sleep here." he said as he lightly shook her hand.

Haruna: *yawn* "Commander? It's okay. I was just a little sleepy. Let's just start working.

Atsuki: "Are you sure? If you're tired you can rest for a bit."

Haruna: "Don't worry commander. Haruna is fine. No need to worry."

Atsuki: "Okay then, if you say so..."

The two then began to work but as he was reading through the documents, Atsuki realized that Haruna was forcing herself to work, even though she was tired. Seeing this, Atsuki tried to convince Haruna to take a small break but she still refused. After a little bit of talking, she finally gave up and laid down on the sofa. After a few minutes, she was fast asleep.

She's already asleep. She really was tired. he thought to himself. He then continued filing the documents until around noon.

And that's the final document for today. Finally... He then got up from his desk and stretched a little.

Haruna: "Ugh..."

Atsuki: "Ah Haruna, you're finally awake."

Haruna: *yawn* "Hello commander. What time is it?"

Atsuki: "Around 4 pm."

Haruna: "Huh?! 4 pm?! I slept that long?"

Atsuki: "Yep. And you said you weren't tired."

Out of embarrassment, her cheeks turned red.

Atsuki: "It's okay Haruna. I was just joking."

Haruna: "What about the paperwork?"

Atsuki: "There wasn't much of it today to my surprise. I finished yesterday's paperwork too."

Haruna: "I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help today, commander."

Atsuki: "It's alright. Anyways, let's wrap things up for today. After that, would you like to accompany me Mamiya's cafe?"