Chapter II • Lonesome No More

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This story is doing better than I'd expected it to (even if it has only been read by a few people), so I just wanted to say thanks for that!! It motivates me to continue on with this. :D
Now on with the story~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite {Y/N}'s pounding head, they quickly sat up and scooted back a bit, letting out a tiny gasp. The bag-headed child had taken them by surprise, and as hopeful as they felt about this sudden turn of events, they could admit they were a bit wary as well.
Their sudden movements caused a fresh wave of pain to wash over {Y/N}, causing them to groan and grip their head.

Their attention was quickly redirected back to the child when they suddenly felt it gently touch {Y/N}'s raised hand.

"Are you hurt?" The child asked.
Judging by the pitch of its voice, {Y/N}'s concluded that the child was a boy.

"Yeah.... but I'll be fine." {Y/N} said with a sigh, letting their hand fall to their side. "I've been through worse."

The boy was silent for a moment before he got to his feet and offered his hand to {Y/N}. "Here, let me help you."
The ghost of a smile crossed {Y/N}'s face as they took the boy's hand. They hadn't noticed before, but his hands were rather soft. Quite the contrast from everything else in this city.

"So," {Y/N} began, "what's your name, kid?"
"Mono," The boy responded. "and you?"
"{Y/N}, but...." They shuffled awkwardly. ".... I kinda prefer {N/N} instead."
Although they had no idea what Mono looked like or what face he was making beneath his bag, {Y/N} had a distinct feeling he was smiling.
"Alright then, {N/N} it is."

{Y/N} smiled softly, but only for a moment as something dawned on them. Looking around amongst the rubble of the fallen building, they noticed that something - someone - was missing.

"Mono, you didn't happen to be with someone earlier, did you?" They asked. "Specifically, a kid in yellow?"
Mono fell silent once more, and he looked down at the floor. {Y/N}'s heart began to sink as their mind raced.
"When this place collapsed.... They didn't get kil-"
"No." Mono suddenly interrupted. "We were both fine."
"Well then, where are they?"

Mono sighed, his breath rather shaky.
"Her name is Six. We've been traveling together through the city."
He pointed across the way to an open door leading to a hallway of some ground floor apartment.
"We went through there after the building fell apart. We.... The details are kind of strange, but Six.... she...." His hands balled up into fists. ".... she was kidnapped."

{Y/N} was taken aback by this news. Not only had they just lost a potential companion - and perhaps even a friend - but they had no idea who would have even taken Six. The last time they checked, there weren't any adults around. As {Y/N} knew all too well, however, that could always change.

"Do you know where she's been taken?" {Y/N} asked Mono.
"I have an idea.... but getting there would be incredibly dangerous."
{Y/N} chuckled, a grin spreading across their face as they crossed their arms. "Danger is my middle name. Always has been." They said. Immediately they began to mentally berate themself for how dumb that sounded. Mono didn't seem to mind, though, as he laughed a little himself.

"Heh.... Well, if you're up for it, I'd love if you tagged along." He turned to face {Y/N} fully. "Only if you're up for it, though. How's your head?"

{Y/N}'s grin faltered as they raised their hand back up to their forehead. It was still pounding like mad, but they really didn't want to be left behind. Not after they were just found.

{Y/N} shook their head lightly. "Don't worry about it, I'm fine." They lied. "Let's get a move on."

With an affirmative nod, Mono took {Y/N} by the hand once more and led them through the open door and down the hall of the apartment. As they walked, {Y/N} looked around, growing more concerned but the second.
"Mono, I don't see a way out." They said. "The rubble's blocking all the exits."

The boy gave a small nod, not seeming concerned in the slightest as they stepped into the living room of the place. They went to stand in front of the television, which was showing nothing but static, as usual.
"You're right," He said, "but I have a plan. You might want to hold on tight to me, though."

{Y/N} was quiet for a long moment.
"Mono. What are we doing."
"Just trust me, {N/N}." He said. "Hold on."

With a sigh of great hesitance, {Y/N} did as they were told and wrapped their arms around Mono's torso, holding on tight but not so much so that they squeezed the boy.
He felt warm, {Y/N} noticed. It was a welcome feeling against their usually chilled skin.

"Alright." Mono said, looking over his shoulder at them for a brief moment. "Brace yourself."

Before {Y/N} could speak, Mono suddenly moved forward, bringing them along with him, through the television screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So,

That was chapter 2!! What did you think?

Again, not great, I know, but hopefully good enough for your enjoyment. Or maybe just cringey enough for you to get some laughs out of it, haha.

Stay tuned for more!!
Until next time!!

Word count of the day:
932!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~