Chapter IV • The Adults and the Static

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alrighty, Chapter 4!! We're on a roll here!! :D
Hi, by the way-
I won't take forever in my intro this time, so I just wanna say, as always, thank you for your guys' support!! :)
Now, let's go~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The children were frozen in place for a few moments, their gaze transfixed upon the Viewer before them. The Viewer, whom they could now tell was a woman who looked to be in her mid to late thirties, had her back to them, utterly focused on the static and upbeat melodies playing on the television.

"It doesn't look like she noticed us." Mono whispered to {Y/N}, taking their hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I bet we could easily sneak by her."

{Y/N} nodded, albeit shakily. They couldn't seem to look away from the Viewer, and the longer they stared, the more their heart pounded, their breath quickened and their hands trembled. They knew what Viewers were capable of, and they had no desire to fall victim to one.

They finally tore their gaze away and looked to Mono instead, however, when the boy put his hand on their shoulder.
"It'll be okay, {Y/N}." He said softly.

{Y/N} was silent as they met his gentle gaze, and their anxiety seemed to melt away as quickly as it came. They took a deep breath and glanced over at the Viewer, whom was still staring at the television.
'Remember, danger's your middle name.' They thought. They retook Mono's hand and began to creep along the far wall, staying as far from the woman as humanly possible. Their gaze never left her, making sure she didn't notice them. It was not very long at all until the two made it into the next room, which was a kitchen. Once they'd made it, {Y/N} turned to face Mono with a big grin on their face.

"We did it!!" They exclaimed in a whisper. Mono gave a little nod. "Yup!! Now, how to get out of here...."
He looked around the room, searching for an exit, when all there really was was a small balcony, and nothing more.
"Hm...." Mono stepped out onto the balcony and continued to look around. He turned his gaze upward and gave a little delighted hop when he spotted a TV dangling from its cord from another window. "There!! That's how we'll get out." He looked over at {Y/N}, who still stood in the kitchen, watching him. "{N/N}, I've got a plan.... but you might not like it."
{Y/N} remained where they stood for a moment more before sighing heavily and approaching Mono. "What do I have to do?"

As Mono explained his plan to them, {Y/N} realized he was correct. They did indeed dislike it. They really didn't like the idea of basically being Viewer bait but, if it got them out of there, the sooner they executed this plan, the better.

Mono took out the remote from his pocket and turned on the dangling TV, which surprisingly still worked after having been in the rain for so long, before handing it to {Y/N}, who went to stand by the doorframe of the kitchen. With another heavy sigh of reluctance, they reached out into the living room, aimed the remote at the television, and pressed the power button. The screen flickered for a moment before it shut off, and the Viewer let out a terrifying croak of rage, turning in {Y/N}'s direction.
{Y/N}, fortunately, had long since hidden between a small space between the wall and the counter, and watched as the Viewer stomped her way across the kitchen, now being drawn to the television outdoors. She stood in front of her sink, staring out the window as the static buzzed on.

{Y/N} looked across the room at Mono, whom had hidden in the corner opposite from them. He beckoned them to follow him as he began to sneak back into the living room. They followed him quickly but quietly, all the while keeping an eye on the woman. There really was hardly a threat here, though - she'd likely die before she ever stopped viewing.

{Y/N} switched the television back on, and the children transported themselves through the screen. They then found themselves outdoors on platform just on the other side of the Viewer's window. It took everything {Y/N} had not to shriek as they stared at the woman's face, or lack thereof, but she made no movement to catch them. She really did not care.
With a small tug on {Y/N}'s sleeve, Mono led them away from the window, and the two traveled upwards, climbing ladders until they made it to the next rooftop. Here, another Viewer - this time, it was a man who looked to be around the same age as the woman - stood by the wall, watching yet another static TV. On the edge of the roof across the gap was a second TV, turned off with no one watching it. The children looked to one another, and {Y/N} facepalmed as they realized they basically needed to reenact their plan from a few minutes ago. It was Mono this time, however, who volunteered to bait the Viewer.

He walked to the edge of the roof and stood directly across from the TV, aiming the remote perfectly and turning it on. He then jogged back to his and {Y/N}'s hiding spot, and from there he turned off the TV the Viewer was watching. Just like before, the man screeched with rage, but soon seemed to be soothed as he noticed the television across the way. He stomped towards it, even reaching out towards it, before blindly stepping right over the edge and plummetting to his death, hitting platforms as he went down.

Mono rushed over to the edge and peered over the side. "I didn't know that was going to happen!!" He exclaimed, his voice wavering. Clearly, he was stunned. {Y/N} stood calmly beside him, just as shocked but seemingly unfazed at the same time. "It... It's better this way. C'mon."

{Y/N} took the remote from Mono and turned the first TV back on, gently pulling the shocked boy along towards it.

The two went through the TV, but when they reappeared through the other one, the momentum of their exit caused not only the screen to break but the children to slide along the rooftop, which the rainfall certainly contributed to. {Y/N} managed to stop and steady themself, but Mono wasn't as lucky, for he rolled right over the edge of the rooftop, barely grabbing onto the ledge in time.

"Help me, {N/N}!!" He cried, terrified. "Don't let me fall!!"

{Y/N} was quick to act, setting the remote aside and moving to grab Mono's other hand.
"I'm not gonna let you fall!!" They responded, pulling the boy back up onto the roof with all their might. In a few moments, Mono was safely on steady ground once more.

The bag-headed boy embraced {Y/N}, clinging to them just as a child would to its mother. "Thank you." He said to them in a quiet voice. With a soft nod, {Y/N} replied in an equally quiet tone, "Of course."

The two then continued onward, traveling through more abandoned apartments and other buildings, the distorted jingles and voices from the TVs echoing all throughout the Pale City. They balanced across boards and glided across clotheslines, all the while doing their best to shield themselves from the torrential downpour.

Walking along the concrete rooftop of one of the apartment buildings, the children stopped for a time as they found themselves in the presence of a perfect view of the Signal Tower. Scattered around them were many Viewers, but none seemed to pay the children any mind, their gaze turned upward at the ominous tower.
Taking Mono by the hand, {Y/N} stared up at it as well.

"Do you think that whoever took Six is also responsible for running that place?" They asked.
"I'm not sure, exactly...." Mono replied, also looking up at the tower, ".... but I have a feeling we'll soon find out."

They stood there for what felt like quite a long while but in actuality was really only another few minutes, and only decided to leave when they noticed that the Viewers had begun to fall from the roof in their effort to tune into the transmission.

Their minds still ran rampant with thoughts of the tower, however. 'The one who took Six,' Mono kept thinking. That man certainly seemed like the perfect candidate for whomever was running the tower.
With a little "hmph," he picked up the pace, {Y/N} doing the same to keep up.

They had to find Six.
They had to stop that thin man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiyo~!!
Author here.

My apologies for if these latest chapters seem like they're going nowhere. Chapter 4 of Little Nightmares 2 is rather long and filled with puzzles, and I'm doing my best to evenly divide up the content amongst the chapters and make it interesting in a story format. :')

Well, that's it for this chapter. I hope you liked it!!
Stay tuned!! ^∆^

Word count of the day:
1,546. :'O
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~