Seafaring to Sindria

Stealing a quick glance, you notice a cute flush on his face while he's pressed up against your back.

~*~

There's a lot to be done, there's no doubt about that. You've attended many meetings with members of the trading company and then some with the king. It was kind of nice to have your father actually pay attention to you, and guide you as you discussed decisions regarding the islands. He was actually acting like a dad for once.

He even gave you sage advice like, "There's a reason these islands aren't yet occupied and you are going to have to overcome those obstacles."

But only so much can be done on paper. It's now time for you to sail out to see the islands for yourself as construction on the needed buildings commences. Sinbad was supposed to preside over the ground breaking ceremony, but as he had to leave quicker than expected, the honors have fallen to you.

The Sindrian vessel provides very different accommodations from the last time you traveled by boat. For the first time, you do not have your own private sleeping quarters. Due to the ship's setup, you're sharing a cabin with some of the younger crew. They at least set up a hammock for you while they plan to sleep on the wooden floor.

Bonus that you are not confined to your quarters either, so you roam about the deck freely, enjoying the sunshine and seabreeze. Sounds of waves and seagulls accompany the sight of endless blue. You feel as if there are no restrictions tying you down. Nothing can hold you back. It is almost like you could taste freedom.

You see Hinahoho at the wheel and Mystras tugging at ropes so you approach the latter and ask him to teach you about sailing. At first, he seems flustered, but you explain how last time you sailed you were cooped up and didn't get such an opportunity. So he says you are welcomed to shadow him. He describes hoisting the sails so the breeze can help move the ship along.

After watching him trim the sails for a bit, you ask if you could give it a try. He hands the next rope to you. You try to tug it with all of your strength. A deep thunk to your left distracts you and as you turn your head to see what made that sound, the rope starts to slip through your fingers.

"Careful not to lose it!" he warns, reaching from behind you to help you hold it. "Easy now..." He guides your adjustment.

"Did you hear that?" you ask.

"Hear what?"

"Um...nothing I guess..." Unable to discern the source of your distractions you turn your attention back to the task at hand.

The timber creaks as you tighten the rope. You even think you hear a wooden crack somewhere behind you. Stealing a quick glance behind, you are unsure of any broken wood, but notice a cute flush on Mystras's face while he's pressed up against your back to help you.

"Mystras!" Ja'far's voice shouts, "What do you think you're doing, making Princess (y/n) do your chores!?"

Startled, both of you let go of the rope and Mystras scrambles to pull it back. While he gets a handle on it, you turn to Ja'far.

You defend, "Don't be mad at Mystras. I want to learn all about sailing. He's been nice enough to teach me."

Ja'far sighs, "That's all well and good, but your attention is needed elsewhere right now. If you would come with me, we can go over options for symbols so you can keep those in mind when we get there and..."

His explanation keeps going, but some shadows shift near the railing behind him, catching your eye. You lean a bit to the side to see what was moving, but it is still now. You blink, wondering if your vision is playing tricks on you.