dreams

Words: 1085

Fields rolled over his vision, the warm sun and green grass being the only thing in sight

Fields rolled over his vision, the warm sun and green grass being the only thing in sight. The sun was unmoving in the sky, the clouds frozen above, leaving the sky in a perfect stilled photo.

The only thing standing out in the perfect scene was a masked man sitting a small distance from the batter. "Zacharie?" The batter called, the other person flinching at the voice.

Zacharie turned to look at the batter, "oh! Batta-Batta, you startled me!" He laughed, watching batter walk up slowly, "I didn't know you knew how to get here. It's beautiful, isn't it?" He asked with a content in his voice.

The Batter looked down at Zacharie and shrugged, "I suppose so."

"Don't be such a grump." Zacharie rolled his eyes, patting the patch of grass next to him, "please, sit. I want to enjoy some company in the wonderland."

Hesitantly, the Batter did as he was told, still locking his glare at Zacharie. "Wonderland?"

"Yes, this place is my wonderland. It's a place that reminds me of home, no smoke or plastic. Just clean air, soft grass." Zacharie babbled, his hands running over the grass until dirt covered his fingertips, "just things I love. It makes me wonder, are you real? Am I just dreaming of you?" He wiped his hand on his grass stained sweater and looked at the taller male.

The batter looked at his hands for a moment, looking for anything unfamiliar about himself. "I appear to be myself. Is that a question I can answer?" He looked back up to Zacharie.

Zacharie had disappointment in his eyes, "I assumed you'd know. Everything I meet here seems to know better than me." He explained, shooing away a few ladybugs that appeared from nowhere, "even the talking bugs are aware I made them up."

"So we're in a dream?"

"Probably, or I'm stoned again, or I'm dead. There's never that much of a difference for me."

There was silence, Zacharie giving the batter a confused look, "you're really real... I thought you'd laugh at that. When I think, it happens."

The batter chuckled, "well, I'm not your puppet. You can't control me." His face went straight again, "if what you think happens, were you thinking of me? Is that why I'm here?"

Zacharie nodded, looking away awkwardly, "I was- I think about you a lot. I don't know what was so special about this time." He said, lost in thought, "maybe... No, no, that wouldn't be right." He sighed.

"What wouldn't be right?"

"When I wake up, I'll forget all of this until my next visit. I won't remember seeing you here, I won't remember the shape of the clouds, I won't remember anything." Zacharie explained, clearly still lost in thought through his tone, "but I wonder... Will you remember? If you're real, when you wake up... Will you know this feeling?"

The Batter thought about that too, finally allowing himself to interact with his surroundings. He picked at the grass, closing his eyes as he focused on the light wind. When he opened his eyes, Zacharie was staring at him, "I hope I can remember it. I like it here."

Zacharie chuckled, "really? Well, I hope you don't, it's always the excitement of returning that makes this place better..." He trailed off, shaking his head, "but anyways, if you'll remember this i really need to limit what I say and do." He sighed, crossing his arms and pouting like a child.

The Batter frowned, "but what if I don't remember, what would you do?"

Zacharie's hand slyly slid to his mask, lying lightly over where his mouth would be, "I couldn't say, even if I wanted too. There would be too much."

"Then just do it, it's only a dream." The Batter encouraged, genuinely curious about what Zacharie was thinking.

"Just... If you remember, don't tell me about this. Pretend it didn't happen..." Zacharie whispered, his hands slowly untying the knot holding up his mask, "because this didn't happen. This world is faker than the metal we walk on, and the plastic oceans..." He reminded, his toad mask falling off onto his lap.

The batter held his breath, hoping Zacharie didn't notice. "Za-zacharie?" He asked nervously, confused why Zacharie would do that.

Zacharie looked at the Batter, his hands covering the sides of his face that appeared to be more torn than the rest of his face. Scars and marks were printed all over Zacharie's skin, over his eyelids, his nose, his lips, and his cheeks. Barely anywhere was left untouched.

"I apologize if I've turned your dream into a nightmare, my imperfect appearance doesn't belong here." Zacharie explained, continuing before the Batter could speak, "but, if you want to know what I wanted to do, my mask would've been in the way."

The batter shook his head, finally letting go of the breath he held, "no, what did you want to do..?" He asked quieter, still lost in awe while taking in everything about Zacharie's face.

Zacharie reached up and pulled off the Batter's hat, turning and crawling so he sat in front of the Batter. "I... I really want to kiss you." He said bluntly, his honest surprised the Batter, "but that's impure, isn't it?"

The Batter was silent, his hands gripping onto the grass anxiously, "I wouldn't think so..." He mumbled, watching closely as Zacharie leaned forward.

"So... Can I?"

The batter nodded, immediately feeling Zacharie's rough, cut up lips against his. The kiss was extremely short, Zacharie quickly pushing the other away.

Zacharie looked away blushing, "I can't, you're dreaming, I'm dreaming. This is impure. You're not thinking right."

The Batter gently grabbed Zacharie's jaw, making him look at him, "this isn't impure, even if it's a dream, I know it's not. I know that I love you and love isn't impure."

"If you remember this when you wake... Promise not to kill me..." Zacharie whispered, staring fearfully into the Batter's eyes.

"I won't, I wouldn't hurt you over a dream..."

Zacharie leaned in again, the Batter quickly kissing back and hugging him close.

"Hola? Salut? Batter?" An annoying voice asked repeatedly, shaking the Batter awake

The Batter sat up, looking around confused, "wha?"

Zacharie laughed, "finally you're awake!"

The batter blushed, staring awkwardly at the toad mask in front of him. He bit his lip and sighed, "Zacharie, when was the last time you slept?"

"Uhhm... Like... 26 hours ago, it was just a nap though."

"Fuck..."