01| THE STONER CLUB

"AN ALLIGATOR ISN'T REALLY CONSIDERED A PET, ALEX."

"I'm sorry, I don't take orders. I barely take suggestions" Alexandria declared as she reclined upon Stevie's bed.

"Hey, you're gonna break the bed!" Stevie Huang exclaimed, punctuating the remark by throwing a book in their friend's direction.

"So, what are your predictions for tomorrow?" Alex mused, absently picking up Vee's guitar.

Tomorrow marked thirty-five years since their parents' high school graduation—a twist of fate that had brought their offspring together, forging unlikely friendships. It seemed like just yesterday that young Stevie and Alex had entered first grade alongside their parents, only to encounter Daphne Watson and Alana Huang nearly trampling each other in a reunion. Stevie and Alex, understandably perplexed, found themselves unwitting participants in a friendship that blossomed as they vied for possession of toy cars.

"I predict either tears or heated debates—same old, same old," Stevie remarked.

"You just know, someone's gonna bash the other and I bet someone in the class dated more than two classmates," Alex remarked.

"I'm just glad they're letting us come for a change," Alexandria admitted, sporting a smug grin.

"As if we wouldn't have crashed it anyway," Stevie chuckled, as they both reached for their pajamas.

"We should go to sleep y'know" Alex yawned, dragging her hand across her face wearily. After changing into their pajamas, they nestled under the covers.

"It's one in the morning, and it's Saturday, for heaven's sake," Stevie quipped, rolling their eyes playfully.

"True, but mark my words, we'll sleep through our alarms and miss out on the morning brownies," Alexandria emphasized, nodding towards the weed-infused treats prepared by Dean for the group.

"Is that all you ever think about, Miss Watson?" Stevie quipped, turning to face her.

"Probably," Alex chuckled softly, playfully blowing air into Stevie's face.

"Goodnight, Miss Watson," Vee murmured, scratching their nose.

"Goodnight, Miss Huang."

An irked Rina Huang barged into her younger sister's room the following morning. While Stevie continued to indulge in pudding and watch Derry Girls, Alex propped herself up on her elbows and retrieved the phone that had been knocked over by Rina's abrupt entrance.

"Top of the mornin' to ya sis" Stevie waved at her with their spoon not paying her attention.

"Don't 'sis' me, Steve! You two were ridiculously loud last night—I even heard guitar playing at one point!" Rina fumed.

"Firstly, don't 'Steve' me," they deadpanned, disliking the nickname. "And secondly, Mom and Dad aren't here, so I couldn't care less."

"I'm in charge," Rina asserted, crossing her arms.

"Oh yeah? Well, you left the fridge open yesterday, Rina! Don't make me report you to Mom," Stevie retorted. Rina didn't want Stevie to snitch; it had happened enough times before. Besides, the fridge was just too heavy.

With a huff, Rina stormed off to her room, leaving a drawer open in her wake.

"That was entertaining," Alex giggled foolishly, settling back onto the bed.

"So, what did I miss?" Alex inquired about the television series they had been watching.

"Clare's gay! "