Part 12

The next morning, we began on our way after packing everything up and having breakfast.

We rode for hours until we came to a stop so we could rest, carrying on small conversation here and there.

"Alright ladies, I vote we stop for a while to stretch our legs." Obi jumped down and then turning to help Shirayuki.

"Sounds like a good idea to me!" I said with a peppy tone.

We all sat at the base of a large tree and ate our lunch together. After I was finished, I pulled myself up from the ground and walked over to my horse to feed her.

Shirayuki joined me and started to pet Aiya.

"I wish I knew how to ride a horse, I never had the chance to learn." She signed.

"I could let you ride Aiya, she's very calm. I could teach you how on our way to Clarines, it's the least I can do for all your help." I said with a smile.

"That would be amazing! But you don't owe me anything, because we're friends Arisa." She laughed lightly.

Obi walked over to us and leaned on my horse trying to act casually as possible.

"What are you two talking about?" He grinned.

"I'm going to teach Shirayuki how to ride a horse!" I raised my fist in the air with excitement.

"I don't know if that's a good idea, it's dangerous ya know." He put his hands on his hips.

"Oh, she will be fine." I waved him off.

"When we get back to the Palace, then you can teach her but not while we're all the way out here. You'll just have to wait a little while." He said trying to be as stern as possible, which was funny to watch because he's always so laid back.

I huffed and rolled my eyes playfully then turned to face Shirayuki.

"I promise I'll teach you, Obi is being a stick in the mud." I pointed to the cat-eyed man and shrugged my shoulders.

"Hey! I'm not a stick in the mud!" He pouted with his arms crossed.

Shirayuki and I exchanged smiles then laughed at his behavior.

"Sure, you're not." I said as sarcastically as possible and places both hands on his shoulders.

*Time Skip*

It was a few hours later into the ride and night was falling, so we decided to stay at a nearby inn.

Obi took care of getting the rooms for us to stay in while Shirayuki and I went to the bathhouse before dinner. We undressed and hopped into the warm water to relax.

"Shirayuki, do you really think your friends will like me?" I asked in a soft voice.

"Of course they will! Why do you think they won't?" She turned to me.

"People usually think I'm weird." I sank into the water to cover the bottom of my face.

"I'm sure they will like you, they are great people." She reassured me.

I hope she's right...I don't want to make things difficult for her and Obi.

I started to zone out until she brought me back to reality by waving her hand in front of my face.

"Are you alright?" Her voice was laced with concern.

"I'm fine, just thinking a bit." I played it off not wanting to worry her anymore.

We enjoyed each other company for a little bit more until it was time to eat dinner.

Obi was waiting at a table playing with his silverware looking as bored as ever until he caught sight of us.

"Hey! Over here!" He waved his hand in the air as he shouted with a goofy grin on his face.

"Did you two have fun without me?" He jokingly said.

"We did actually." I retorted with a smile.

"I'm hurt that you didn't miss my company." He huffed dramatically while placing a hand on his chest.

"Of course I missed your company, Obi." I smiled at him.

His face flushed red and he couldn't find the words to say, which was honestly a first for him.

He usually always had a witty remark, but this time he was silent.

The conversation over our meal went on as it normally would, Shirayuki and I teased Obi. Then we all started to head back to our rooms for the night.

As usual, Shirayuki was first to fall asleep leaving me wide awake, for some reason I was more restless tonight.

I got up as quietly as I could without waking my red-haired friend and grabbed my storybook that Mukaze got me when I was a child, then made my way to the door of the balcony that wrapped all the way around the top floor.

When I stepped out onto the balcony, I felt the night breeze brush against my bare arms because I only had on a nightgown that was in the bag of stuff that Mukaze gave me.

I starred out at the stars allowing the outside world to take over my senses, I wasn't aware that I wasn't alone on the balcony.

"What's wrong, can't sleep?"

I jumped a little at the voice next to me and grabbed my chest and drop my book. I turned to see Obi standing next to me with a proud smirk.

"You scared the hell out of me!" I slapped his arm lightly and giggled a little.

"Sorry, I thought you would've noticed that I was out here when you came out." He smiled as he picked the old worn book up from the ground and handed it back to me.

"What are you doing up so late anyway?" I asked while clutching the book tight to my chest.

"Just felt a little restless." He sighed and leaned against the railing. "Whatcha got there?" His eyes flickered to the book in my hands then back to my face.

"Oh. It's a book I've had since I was a child." I paused for a moment and smiled slightly. "My mother used to read it to me every night before I went to sleep."

"Can you tell me about it, Miss Ruby?" He looked back towards the night sky.