3. Of The Past

I was highly distracted, to be more precise, bothered. I got home and treated Dexter to a homemade dinner for being such a great help. He denied but I insisted and so did Sam; he had to give in. After he left and I put Misha to sleep, I started organizing the house. Being a single and working mother, I had to manage the chores in whatever schedule possible. So, I vacuumed during the night before putting Misha to sleep and after she had slept, I would go on to tied up the house.

I took out the pillow covers and other few stuffs to decorate the living room from the storage and started organizing. I had a lot of things left to buy but I put that off for the weekend.

"You, okay?", Asked Sam as he settled down on the couch.

"Yup!", I replied without looking at him. "Why are you asking?"

"You are organizing...", He started.

"My favourite thing to do.", I reminded him.

"Not at 12 a.m.!", he pointed out.

I rolled my eyes and turned to face him, "Boy, you are way past your bedtime!"

"And, you are changing the topic!", He sighed. Mom?

Yup?, I replied without looking at him.

Are you okay?, I sighed as I looked up at him and was about to speak but he continued, I know that coming here wasn't easy for you. And I am sorry that I was being stubborn.

I smiled as I went and sat next to him. I put my arms around him and snuggled him close to me, Its okay, love., I brushed his hair slowly.

Coming back to New York was the most difficult thing that I ever had to do in the last six years. I still didn't know how to feel about it. But the fear that kept me away from this city had already turned into reality.

Dylan!

I felt like the Kiara from six years back. All the pain and sorrows that I had been hiding away, came rushing back in.

But unlike before, then I couldnt just give in to all those emotions and become that broken girl. I had my two kids and in no way, they deserved to see their mother getting shattered in pieces.

I had to be strong, for Sam and Misha.

I was scared, Sam. I am still scared., I said honestly. He knew me too well to lie to him. But I know that I will be fine. I am not alone., I smiled as he smiled back, feeling a little proud. The biggest goal of his life was to be my strength and whenever I confirmed that, he took great pride in it. With you and Misha, I am the strongest and most capable person in this world.

He quickly pulled me in a hug and I hugged him back, savouring the moment. Teenagers seldom showed their emotions to their parents and hugs and kisses become a rare thing to happen. We should cherish them while we can.

Now go and sleep. You have school tomorrow., I smiled patting his back.

"Good night!", He kissed on my head and went upstairs.

I shook my head as I continued with my work. I felt a little better but I had to stay busy for I had no chance of falling asleep any sooner.

Suddenly, my mobile vibrated. I checked to find a text from Dexter.

"I met Mr. Mee in the elevator on my way out. He asked me what I was doing there at such an hour so I just told him that you had asked me to drop off a few things."

I felt like my heart skipped a beat. As if my mind wasn't full already, another worry was added. What would I say if Dylan asked me about the kids? I hadn't disclosed the fact to anyone at work that I was a single mom and I didn't intend to do that myself. I wasn't trying to hide it. I am not ashamed of being a single mother and I am very much proud of my kids. But I just didn't know how Dylan would react to it. He wouldn't refrain himself from finding out the truth, I knew that for sure. So, I had asked Dexter to not tell anyone because I wasn't comfortable with people asking me personal questions. He did tell me that eventually people would find out.