Chapter 11

Later on that day
Y/n's POV

I was sitting in Hank's room working on some important stuff. Everyone was still caught up about what happened earlier and I needed to get away. I took a sip of my coffee before hearing someone walk up the stairs and knock on the door. They entered the room and closer the door behind them.

"Hi," Hank said, looking over at me." Hey." I replied, looking down at a sheet of paper." Whatcha doing?"
"Working."
"Why don't you take a break."
"No, it's fine I need to finish this-"
"Y/n-"
"I've been avoiding it all week-"
"Y/n!" Hank placed his hand on mine making me stop talking. I look at the piece of paper for a few seconds before sighing and putting it to one side. I lean against the back of the bed, folding my arms in front o my chest.

"What's wrong?" Hank asked, sitting across from me." Nothing." I responded blankly." Really? Cause you haven't looked at me once." I don't answer." Did I do something wrong?"
"Oh, I don't know, how about when me and Glen were trying to stop you and your dad from arguing, all you did was push us away." I said, finally looking at him." I didn't want you getting involved."
"You made me get involved when you made me come back here."
"I didn't make you do anything."
"Really, then what the fuck am I doing here?!" Hank only looked at me." I could have avoided all of this if I had just said no."

"Then why don't you leave, Huh. If your that desperate to go out of this place, just go!" Hank said, his breathing getting heavier. After a couple seconds, regret washed over Hank's face making me scoff before standing up," Wait, Y/n, look I'm-" Hank began until I barged past him and left the house.

I headed down the road and entered the tavern, sitting at a booth near the window. I ordered a drink and took out some case work, carrying on from earlier.

Time jump

A couple hours had passed and the bar door, revealing the bright sun outside. I heard the person sit in front of me, however I carried on writing something onto a piece of paper." Is that it? Your just gonna ignore me." Hank said, making me roll my eyes." I've got nothing to say to you." I said, still not looking at him.

"You know I didn't mean what I said."
"Really cause you seemed pretty sure of it."
"I was mad and I took my anger out on you."
"Mhm." I said, continuing to write things into my notebook. A few moments passed passed until a waitress walked up to us, placing my drink on the table. I look up at her and thank her, making her walk away. I picked up the glass and took a sip of it before placing it back on the table." How many of those have you had?" Hank asked, looking at me." It doesn't matter." I said, not looking at him.

"Why are we even arguing over something so little? I never meant it!" Hank said. I exhale through my nose before looking up at him," Look, I came here to get away from you. From the mayhem. From everything, and all your doing is following me, arguing with me. Well, I've had enough so just leave me alone." I pick up my stuff and place it in my bag before standing up and walking out. I was walking away until Hank grabbed my hand, making me look at him." Let go!" I said," Not until you tell me why your mad at me!" He said, still holding my wrist.

"I'm not mad at you! I'm just-" I stop and look away." Just what?"
"I don't know how I'm feeling but..." I look back up and see Hank looking back at me." I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think you dad really did run over Blackwell that night, I mean come the proofs there."
"And this is why you were mad at me."
"No. I was mad that you pushed me away when I was trying to help but I was also scared that you would be mad, or angry with me for what I said about Judge."
"What? Of corse I wouldn't be mad at you." He moved down to my hand and pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me. I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his chest.

He kissed the top of my head before resting his chin on the top of mine." And, I can see how you think Judge hit Blackwell but he couldn't have, he's incapable of doing anything like that... I just know it." I nod and let out a breath. We pull away and look at each other, Hank leaned down and kissed me, placing his hands on my hips. I wrap my hands around his neck and kiss him back.

After a while we pull away and look at each other," Come on, let's go home." I nod and we walk over to the car, driving back to the house, holding hands.

Time jump

Hank parked the car outside the house and looked at me," Are we ok?" He asked," Yes. We're fine." He smirked before I pecked him on the lips left the car," I'm gonna go and check on Dale, I'll meet you in a bit." Hank said, I nod and walk up the stairs noticing Judge sitting on the porch with a bottle of whiskey on the table. I walked over to him and stood in front of the chair beside him," Finally opened her up Huh?" I asked, looking at him." Yeah." He replied." Evan Williams. She was 23 years old when I drove down to Bardstown, Kentucky, 1979 to buy her."

I picked up the bottle and looked over it closely," Me and Hank almost cranked this baby open a thousand times." I said, placing it back on the table." Yeah, be glad you didn't." I sat down on the rocking chair, looking over at him." You gonna tell me I shouldn't drink?" He asked," Your a big boy." He leaned back against the wall and looked ahead," Long as your ready for tomorrow. Dickham's gonna turn up the heat."
"I'm ready." I looked out to the garden before speaking," Where do you think they are now?"

"Who?" Judge asked," My parents, Mary, do you think there's something else?" I turn back and look at him." I'm 72 with stage IV cancer, what choice do I have." I smile and look back at the garden." You know, I was gonna, Uh... I wanted to apologise to Hank for belittling in his marriage." I look down before looking up at him," Its not easy to have a good marriage." I nod," I don't know how to help him Judge, he always seemed happy with Lisa and then this sudden outburst and their done." I said," Life happens in mysterious ways." I chuckle and look down.

"Do you think they could make each other happy again?"
"I don't know. After everything that Lisa's done, I'm not surprised Hank called it off."
"Do you ever plan on getting married?"
"Me? God no. I'm not one for being held down." Judge chuckled," You will... one day." I lean forward and rest my head on my hand." Fill it up." Judge said, referring to the two cups in front of us." Really?"
"Yeah." I poor the liquid into both of the glasses and hand one to Judge." Have a little toast here. To whatever, I don't know. But let's have a toast."

"Uh, to good luck in court." We tap our glasses together before taking a sip of the alcohol, a burning sensation running down my throat. I leaned back in the chair and listened to the silence.