Chapter 12

The next day

"Good luck." I said, kissing Hank in the cheek." Thanks." He smiled and walked away with Judge, heading into the courtroom. I turn around and see Glen and Dale looking at me," What?" I ask," Whats going on with you and Hank?" Glen asked.

"I don't know what your talking about." I said, walking ahead," Uh-Huh, something's going on with you two." I roll my eyes and walk down the row of chairs, sitting down and checking the time. After a couple of seconds Judge Warren walked in," All rise. The court is in session." Gus said, making everyone stand and wait until Judge Warren's instructions." Be seated." We all sat back down and I watched as the bailiff walked over to a video player, playing the clip of Judge at the night of the incident.

Sheriff White pauses the video just as Judge drove past before speaking," The judge's Cadillac reappears in the frame approximately five minutes after he left the lot."
"Exact time Sheriff?" Dickham asked, standing up." Four minutes, forty-five seconds."
"Okay, again." Dickham replayed the video and used CCTV from the store. I look in front and see Judge twitching a little, making me furrow my brows. I saw his breathing speed up as soon as Blackwell appears on the screen, and he slowly stood up. Hank turned to me before looking at Judge," Judge Palmer?" Judge Warren asked.

Judge placed his hand on his head and fell to the ground, C.P and Hank catching him. I stood up and looked over to Gus." Bailiff, you mind calling an ambulance?" He picked up the phone and dialled the emergency number. There was quiet convocations flooding the courtroom, everyone looking over at Judge.

The ambulance soon arrived and escorted Judge into the back, driving to the hospital." Come on, let's go." Glen said, starting the car and following the ambulance." Wh-whats gonna happen?" Dale asked. I turned and looked at Hank who was looking at his hands, I turn back to Dale not saying a word.

Time jump

We had just been told to wait outside and listen for any news on Judge. I sat down opposite Hank and Glen, while Dale sat beside me talking." St Thomas Moore. I don't know which prayer card the judge will like. Maybe St. Joseph because he's the patron saint of fathers." I put my hand on his arm," Okay, Okay, Dale! Dial down the craziness, dial it down!" Glen said making me look at him serious.

"Hey, why don't you go to the vending machine? Here." I said, handing my purse." You've got a picture of you, Hank, Glen and me in here." He said, making the other two brothers look at me." Yeah."
"Film the vending machines Dale." Glen said, as Dale walked away. I look over and see Hank staring at Glen." Look, don't look at me like that." Glen said, not looking at Hank." Don't take it out on him." Hank replied," Not now. Don't look at me like that. Not now." Hank looks over to me, clenching his jaw.

"You don't know what my life is like, okay? Mom is gone. All right? And dad is-" He stopped and looked away," And then what are we gonna do about Dale? Huh? What are you two gonna help?" He turned and looked at me before turning back to Hank." You? Really?"
"I'm not like you. I haven't been stuck here all this time." Hank said, making Glen scoff." Guys stop." I said, neither one of them listening." I understand why you're going mental." Glen turned back to Hank, fury burning in his eyes." Hank, I've never asked you for a goddamn thing in your life."
"I'm here aren't I?"
"I've never asked you for anything!"
"I'm fucking here."
"Yeah. Well, he's your father, you should be here."

"Oh my god, your nuts." Hank said, putting his head in his hands." I never asked you for a goddamn thing. I'm asking you now. You cannot loss this case. All right, dad cannot go to prison."
"Will you two just pack it in!" I said, making both of them stop talking and look at me." Look, your dads gonna be fine, all right? But he's not gonna get any better if this constant bickering of yours, continues. So just shut up, shake hands and be done with it." I crossed my leg and looked away, resting my head on my hand.

It goes quiet until footsteps approach us," Dad wants to see Y/n and Hank. Not you Glen." I look at Dale before standing up and walking towards Judges room. I hear Hank run up to me and begin talking," Look back there I-"
"Just shut up Hank." I said, cutting him off and opening judges door. I see him sitting on a medical bed, his face pale and eyes barley open. He points for us to come over and begins talking," I killed the bastard." I move to the end of the bed and sit down, crossing my arms. I gulp and look at Hank," Your funny." Hank said, laughing." Please don't ever say that again." He sat down and look at Judge.

"I know me. I ran that man down."
"Your speculating." I said," I know you too." Hank began," Your not capable of overriding a lifetime of ethical superiority."
"You obviously have false memory of that night." I said, making Judge look at me." I don't have the energy to argue with you two." He said," Then muster some. Do you remember hitting him?" Hank said," It's just a matter of time."
"Clocks ran out. We're out of fucking time." Hank said." You can't take the stand." I butted in," Then I'll fire you and C.P will do it."

"You are the most brutally bullheaded client I've ever had." Hank said, leaning back in his chair, loosing his tie." Come on Judge, there's no witness. The prosecution can't prove you hit him any more than you can." I explained," Hank's made it clear that you didn't do it all over his case, and your just gonna give all that up over one eclipse?"
"Will you let me do my job, let me do the talking. Keep your mouth shut. You're gonna win." Hank pleaded," Yes. But I have to live here." Judge said, making hit the palm of his hand on the chair and stand up. He clenched his hands and faced the wall," You're impossible to defend!" He walked over to the counter and looked at Judge.

"What happened to Reagan? You know, the jelly beans and your horseshit legacy?" He walked back over to Judge and sighed," Okay so..." He leaned down and spoke into the Judges ear," Your gonna swear, in the hand of god, and lie under oath that you remember hitting him?"
"I won't confess to something I don't remember doing, okay?" Judge replied," You promise?"
"Yes."
"Thank you."
"Yes. I'll see you in court Henry."
"All right, I'm sorry, I just-"
"I'll see you in court Henry." Hank looked down for a few seconds before turning around and leaving the room.

I let a breath before standing up and grabbing my coat. I walked towards the door yet turned back around and looked at Judge," I'm sorry." I looked down while leaving the room, closing the door behind me. I walk over to where the brothers were and look at them," What did he say?" Glen asked, looking up at me." Uh, Nothing really." I sit back in my seat and look at the floor. I hear someone move over and sit next to me, taking my hand in theirs. I look up and see Hank looking at me, I stare at him for a moment before speaking." I- I can't, I'm sorry." I stand up and put my hand on the back of my head." I'm gonna go and get some fresh air, I'll meet you guys at home." I turn around and leave the hospital, sitting down on one the benches outside the building.

I let out a breath and close my eyes. I know it seemed like I over reacted there but something with hospitals freaks me out and I hate going there. I sat there for a few minutes until someone stood in front of me, blocking my sight." What was that back there?" I heard Hank ask, I look up at him for a split second until looking back down." I'm sorry, I just sorta freaked out and-" groan and put my head in my hands," You know how hospitals make me feel." He sighed before sitting beside me, looking up at the building in front." I know, it's fine... Your not the only who hates hospitals, you know, seeing someone you know if the most horrific state and you can't do anything to help them."

I look up at Hank and see him looking back at me. I half smile before leaning against the chair, resting my head on his shoulder. A couple minutes of silence passed until Hank spoke up," Your right." I furrow my brows and look at him," About what?"
"Everything. Maybe Judge really did hit Blackwell." He said, looking back at me." That doesn't matter now, we just gotta win this case."
"Yeah." I pulled him into a tight embrace and rested my head on his shoulder. He hugged me back and put his arms on my waist.

We pulled away and looked at each other. I pecked his lips before standing up," I'm gonna head back to the house, I'll see you later." He nods making me walk away, putting my hands in my pocket and walking back home.