chapter 1 | school

• • •

• • •

I woke up pretty early because I had to make food for my father and get ready for school.

I started to make breakfast, I made scrambled eggs and bacon since that was all that was left in the fridge. I made it quickly so I didn't have to come across my father in the morning and get abused once again.

I placed the breakfast on a plate and put tin foil on top of it so it wouldn't get cold and left to go to the bathroom to get ready for school.

I quickly took a shower and put on my same old clothes again. I brushed my teeth with my finger as I didn't have a toothbrush. I was grateful to have a little bit of toothpaste left. I left the bathroom and went into my closet that was near the front of the house.

Since I didn't have a room and pretty much lived out of a closet, which I'm grateful for nonetheless, I only had another t-shirt to change into, so I just changed my top and left on my same bottoms. My jeans were ripped and had blood stains on them. I hoped nobody would notice. I ran my fingers in my hair to make it look presentable. I picked up my backpack and left out the front door.

I was glad I didn't have to come across my father in the morning, he was probably still blacked out from drinking so much and hopefully doesn't notice I left without greeting him.

I started to walk to my school which was around two miles away from my house. I also took note of any place that was hiring people so I can make money for my mother's treatment.

After, I reached school after thirty minutes because of my slow pace, since I couldn't walk properly because of the activities that went down yesterday. I walked to my locker and did my lock combination to get my book for my first period, AP Chemistry.

The bell rang just as I closed my locker. I walked to my class and sat by the far left window. I didn't have any friends, obviously. Who would want to be friends with me? Not even I would want to be friends with myself. However, school was now my only escape from my father.

The teacher was talking about the periodic table and the element presentation we had to do in replacement for a test. I picked Nitrogen for my element and started to work on my presentation. I had to complete any electronic work at school or the library since I had no access to them at home.

I was halfway done when the bell rang, signaling class was over and it was time for second period which was AP English Literature. I was pretty excited to go to class because English was easily my favorite subject. I was the first to arrive at the class, so I took the seat closest to the teacher's desk to understand the material she would be teaching. If I took a seat in the back, the students would push me off the chair and make fun of me. My English teacher, Mrs. Anderson, arrived and she looked to be in the ideal mood today.

After she came, everyone started rolling in. Mrs. Anderson started to discuss the studies of different texts. I already knew all this because I had already gone over the material at home. While she was talking, the door opened and revealed Chase.