chapter 9 | the starbucks guy

Megan strolls on the ashen sidewalk with lazy steps, a sage-green knitted bag strapped over her shoulder

Megan strolls on the ashen sidewalk with lazy steps, a sage-green knitted bag strapped over her shoulder. Her grandma had knitted it for her last Christmas, insisting that she use it instead of the "dirty, germ-filled" baskets that the local grocery store offer.

Silently laughing to herself at the memory of her uptight grandmother, Meg eases into her polyester sweater. It, in fact, is not knitted by her grandmother, but it helps immensely with the freezing temperature as she takes her walk to the grocery store.

She had ran out of fruits a while ago, knowing that if she's hoping to have a successful future where her parents aren't constantly on her ass, the least she can do is stay healthy and keep her appearance straightened up. Maybe then they won't be so obsessed with her life.

As she walks, she can't help by think about the man from earlier that day. He was beautiful to her. Being the hopeless romantic that she's always been, she is the type to believe in love at first sight, but she is also just as realistic. 'It's just a tiny crush on a cute stranger. Totally doesn't mean anything more. I'm just gonna completely disregard the fact that he has a similar, yet opposite appearance to that of Min Yoongi's.'

Mind consumed by these possibilities (and romantic daydreams with the stranger), she hardly noticed when she had finally approached the store. The fluorescent street lights color the cracked concrete, giving the street dull life.

A golden light emits from inside the grocery store. A pretty average looking store, yet on this night it feels a bit different. Megan sighs. 'My senses are acting up..'

Sticking her forearm out to push open the door, the keychain she attached to her knitted shopping bag jingles cutely, a panda keychain dangling daintily next to her silver house key. Her parents are out for the night, with them being business people and all. They'll do that — randomly abandon her for some short business trip about an hour or two away. Sometimes for longer, but she's used to it.

The fresh light from inside of the store fills her vision as she casually walks in, the sudden warmth covering her skin. The cool air from the A.C. challenges this warmth, the scent of new imports and product following alongside. 'Ah, the smell of grocery stores.'

Knowing she needs to get laundry detergent first, she does just that, giving an acknowledging nod and diminutive wave at the nice old lady from behind the counter as she goes in the right direction. She picks up a whiff of fresh detergent as she approaches the section, mindlessly stepping back to look at all of the detergent selections when she finally arrives.

Seeing the brand she normally buys on the top, she instinctively reaches to grab it, but her short fingers are just centimeters away from reaching it. Trying again, she grows frustrated when she can't get it down.

"Huh," she blows out. She's certain that she was able to reach it the other million times she's been here.

"Need some help?"