Chapter One

Whispers echoed in the busy hall of the hospital in the city of Cokeworth, England. It was a rather large town located in the midlands of England, not a very pretty or pleasant one however with street after street made of identical brick, terraced, houses. Near by was a dirty river, whose bank was strewn with litter, and a disused mill with a tall chimney. Overall a very ominous and ugly town.

"Did you see that child?"

"His eyes were like nothing I've ever seen before."

"Wasn't it believed that one of the twins would come out dead?"

A tall woman sighed at the gossip now spreading through the halls. Her blond curls up in a messy bun while heavy bags hung under her eyes. As the head nurse of the hospital she was often being called on for various jobs, today was supposed to be no different as she received a request to help a mother give birth.

She lazily scribbled down the date of birth on two new birth certificates; January 30th, 1960 at 10:24 pm. One read the name Lily Joanne Evans while the other Hyacinth Lukas Evans.

The moment she had entered the room of the mother in question everything had gone wrong. For starters some idiot had placed a newly employed nurse just out of school and no experience in this field to lead. Two hours were spent fixing the mess the idiot had caused. Another seven spent to get out a annoyingly fussy newborn girl, cute but the head nurse felt her head was about to explode from the racket it was causing. Just as they had relaxed a big issue was discovered. The mother, Mrs. Evans, as she had learned wasn't done. She was having twins.

The ten minutes that followed that revelation had to be some of her most dreadful. They couldn't perform a C-section without risking the mother as the baby still inside her had moved away from the womb, but the nurses had come to a silent agreement that the child would be dead but they'd try to revive it. Honestly it was the only thing they could think as during the woman's pregnancy checks there was only signs of one life in her belly.

Still the moment the child was out of the woman, the umbilical cord was cut and the head nurse had swept away the newborn from a hysterical mother. That half an hour, the head nurse and the others spent trying to bring the child back had been one of the most stressful times of her life.

A tired smile rose on her lips as her finger ran over the name Hyacinth, it had been worth it though to see that small miracle come to life. The moment she saw those mismatched purple and green eyes, that seemed to change color at every angle, looking up at her with a smile she'd felt an overwhelming amount of relief. She'd never seen a baby with such unusual yet beautiful eyes, and oddly she felt that they fit him perfectly.

She'd found from another nurse, who had helped deliver Mrs. Evans first child Petunia Evans, that the woman was fond of giving her children flower names. A wider smile tucked on her lips as she read the Legend of the boy, the flower's name was believed to have originated from.

Like his eyes, she felt the story fit him as well. Not only that but as she looked into his eyes she felt strongly at peace as if she was safe now in his presence. 'Safe' wasn't a feeling she often felt these days, not after the days she'd suffered while young as an outcast. It was the oddest of experiences for her. She wouldn't trade it for anything however. She'd never trade away this experience of witnessing a small miracle.