Chapter 3: Truth Takes a Backseat

Arthur Weasley, head of the Weasley clan, stepped out of the courtroom with a very pale Harry Potter. It had been a grueling hour and a half for both. Fortunately for Harry, the Wizengamot had found the boy innocent of using underage magic to chase two dementors away from himself and his muggle cousin. It had been a near thing.

Albus Dumbledore saved the day at the trial and them promptly left, leaving Arthur to take care of the traumatized young wizard. The tall red-head was perplexed with the elderly wizard's cavalier attitude toward the distraught boy.

Why had Albus left in such a hurry? And why didn't the man look at Harry, greet him, or comfort him? He was sure Albus had his reasons, but not explaining them had left young Harry bereft and shaken.

"Wait! Mr. Potter? A moment of your time?" A stately elderly wizard strolled up, holding a cane in the air to draw their attention. The man was well dressed and carrying a briefcase in his left hand.

"Sorry no autographs," Arthur started to say, ushering Harry towards the exit.

"I should hope not," said the elderly gentleman, pulling out a card. "I am Lord Peter Flinchley-Addams. Retainer for the Potter family for many years."

Harry took the proffered card and looked it over. "Why are you just now approaching me?" he asked, confused.

"My apologies, Mr. Potter. I was unable to attend your trial. It would seem someone in the Ministry owled me the incorrect time and place," the distinguished wizard complained disdainfully. "For which I wish to offer my sincerest apologies, Mr. Potter. I can assure you no one in my office would make such a reprehensible blunder."

Arthur looked at Harry who was fingering the business card. Both were thinking that having a barrister earlier would have helped tremendously in Harry's defence.

Leaning closer, the silver-haired gentleman placed a hand on Harry's shoulder. "Could I have a moment of Mr. Potter's time in private?"

"Now see here!" Arthur sputtered, recognizing the wizard was one of the top barristers in the Wizarding World. This regal wizard was not someone to offend. However, he had his orders from Albus. "I need to get Harry back to the Burrow. Molly and the others are waiting for us..."

"This will only a few moments, sir," the barrister reassured, glancing at the teen.

"I don't see what it would hurt, do you Mr. Weasley?" harry asked, turning to the gentleman in question. "You aren't a Death Eater are you?"

Lord Peter smiled, raised his cane and invoked an oath," I, Lord Peter Flinchley-Addams, do swear on my magic that I am not now nor ever will I be a follower of the Dark Lord Voldemort. Yes, I too can say his name. I am who I claim to be, a Barrister-at-Law and a personal retainer to the Potter Family. So mote it be."

"So mote it be," Harry repeated and smiled as magic swirled around them sealing the oath. Turning to Mr. Weasley, he pleaded. "I would like to hear what he has to say."

Arthur sighed but nodded. "Very well, Harry but I have to stay with you. Albus and Molly would have my head if anything happened to you."

"If I may," Lord Peter Flinchley-Addams interjected. "Headmaster Dumbledore has refused me access to Mr. Potter since his parents were killed." He ushered them into an empty nearby conference room. "Furthermore, he has repeatedly denied all my requests to meet with him since his return to the Wizarding World at age eleven. I can assure you both, what I have to say is very important."

A stunned Arthur complied silently as the door closed behind them.

~~

Harry was delighted. Finally, someone would be on his side. The brief meeting went well. He could tell that Mr. Weasley was overwhelmed by it all. Thankfully, Lord Peter was able to get a wizard's oath from Mr. Weasley. Lord Peter had insisted on the oath to protect his client's right to privacy.