Part 7

Almost a full month had passed by since you returned home and things had not been the same. Life in York New felt different.

Tony had found out about the attack in Brook (you were sure Peter had something to do with it) and ordered for extra guards to be around you at all times. That was no fun at all. You couldn't even go into the gardens without spotting someone watching you.

Tony had also started searching for the perfect husband for you. He had asked for your opinion on the matter but what could you offer, you hardly knew any of them. The only concern you had voiced was that to do with King Brock. 'I would rather slit my own throat than marry him.' You thought Tony was going to pass out right in front of you when you spoke those words.

"We're what?" Your brow pinched together in confusion as you looked up to your brother.

The two of you were walking through the castle halls, making your way towards the great hall to join Pepper and Morgana for lunch. Tony had been in a meeting the whole morning and as soon as it was finished he had you sent to him so the two of you could talk.

Tony rolled his eyes dramatically. "Having a ball."

"For what?"

"Don't you listen to anything I say?" Tony let out a frustrated sigh as he came to a stop and effectively stopping you as he tugged on your arm. "I'm close to making my decision and I thought, this would be a good way for you to get to know the men who may become your future husband." You scowled at him like a petulant child. "... And it's also a good way for you to meet King's from the neighbouring kingdoms. Strengthen ties with those that you one day will have alliances with."

"... Oh," You let out a soft sigh before you chewed on your bottom lip. "Very well. You, for once, make sense." You grinned playfully at him.

"Enough of the cheek, Princess," Tony smirked and offered his arm to you once more so the two of you could continue to the great hall. "There's also another reason I thought I'd let you know." He smiled softly at you, "You'll need to start designing your ball gown, won't you."

Your eyes widened with excitement, "But, you or Pepper usually have the final say to make sure it's 'to proper standards of a princess'," You rolled your eyes.

Tony sighed, "Yes, well... you're twenty-one in a few months, and you will be marrying, and leaving me, so... it's time you made your own decisions," You opened your mouth, a hint of hope shining in your eyes. "About gowns, Y/N." Tony quickly corrected. He chuckled as you scoffed and pouted once more. "C'mon, I'm sure Morgana will be excited to help with your ball gown."

You nodded trying to hide your grin. If you were being honest, you were looking forward to it. You never had free rein over anything like that.

You cleared your throat after a moments silence, "I'm sorry," You whispered looking up to your brother.

Tony frowned at you, "For what, Y/N?"

You sighed softly. "For the way that I have been acting towards the 'future husband'... thing." You furrowed your brow, "I've been behaving like a child, and I should be more adult about the situation." You let out a small breath, "I know you... must do this for the kingdom."

"Y/N," Tony let out a sigh as he placed his free hand over the top of yours that laid on his arm. "You have every right to be upset. If there was anything I could do to stop this, I would."

"You're King, you could change the law." You spoke in an optimistic tone.

Tony let out a regretful sigh as he shook his head. "Not with matters like this. The council have to have their input too and-" He sighed deeply. "Well, we both know how they can be." He frowned deeply. "You know, I will choose who I know will treat you kindly. They're all good men, Y/N."

You pouted, "Even Prince Loki?"

"I only put him on the list to please his brother," Tony chuckled softly.

You nodded, "And... King Brock? Who did you have to please there?" You whispered.

Tony could hear the fear in your voice. "The council wanted me to be fair to all kingdoms and demanded I made it look like I was trying to put the effort in to strengthen ties with kingdoms such as East Lower." He grumbled the last few words. "Please, believe me, Y/N, when I say that man or any that are like him, will never hurt you."

"But, East Lower is the weakest tie we have... King Brock is the perfect 'future husband' for the council. We'll strengthen ties and he'll beat the respect into me, just like the council have always wanted." You gulped as tears formed in your eyes.

Tony sighed as he once more stopped before you came to the doors of the great hall. He reached up and placed his large hand over your cheek and ran his thumb under your eye, catching the tear that fell. "I may not be able to change the law, Y/N, but I have the final say. I promise you, Y/N, you'll be safe from harm when I make my decision. Okay?" He nodded giving you a gentle, reassuring smile.

You breathed in a shaky breath and nodded, "Okay..."