Part 20

The castle lit up white as a storm raged on outside. Steve stood in his chambers, watching the rain drops fall down the windowpane. He wasn't getting any sleep tonight.

His head snapped towards the door as it opened and you rushed in, almost slamming it shut behind you. "What's wrong, my love, can't sleep?"

You turned to face Steve as you sniffled and shook your head, tears staining your cheeks.

Steve opened his arms for you. You quickly ran across his room, your bare feet slapping against the floor until you were able to wrap your arms around him. He held you as you softly cried into his chest. He closed his eyes as he felt his own tears begin to burn his eyes.

He reached up and cradled the back of your head. "What is it?" He asked.

"Pepper and I... We, argued." You sniffled, pulling back from him.

Steve cupped your face with his large hands and carefully brushed your tears away. "Argued about what, my love?"

"She... Blames me." You huffed.

Steve's brow furrowed, "Of course she doesn't-"

"She does, Steve." You closed your eyes as you took a deep breath. "She said so herself."

"What do you want?" Pepper glared at you from Tony's beside as he laid there peacefully.

You shut the door behind you and offered her a kind smike. "I came to see how my brother was." You whispered.

"He's fine. Now leave." She ordered.

Your mouth hung open a little in shock. "I wish to stay. Allow me to keep watch over him, Pepper, so you can perhaps get some rest your--"

"You've done enough!" She spat.

"Excuse me?" You moved closer to her. "I don't understand what--"

"I don't need anything more from you!" She pointed at Tony as she stood from her chair. "This is all your fault. It always is. You run around here, without a care in the world, being the spoilt 'little princess'... And Tony, is always there to clean it all up. Well, not anymore. It's time you grew up and became Brook's problem because I've had enough. The sooner you leave, the better for my family!" She shouted at you, making you jump.

You quickly turned to the door and pulled it open, but before you left you turned back to face Pepper. "Thank you for finally showing me the true you, Virginia. I always ignored the rumours of court, but now I finally see why they refer to you as a bitch! God help this kingdom if Tony does die, and your left to be its Queen!" You slammed the door shut as the tear freely flowed. You ignored Pepper as she shouted after you.

Steve felt his chest rumble with a low growl as you finished.

You shook your head and pushed back from him. "This is all my fault! If I had just been sent there in the first place, none of this would have-"

Steve reached out and grabbed you, crashing his lips against yours with a hunger he'd never felt before. You let out soft whimpers as he reached down and grabbed a hold of your thighs, lifting you up until you wrapped your legs around his waist before moved you over to sit on the table in his room. His tongue licked at yours as he carded his fingers through your hair, holding your face as he kissed you passionately.

He pulled back panting and rested his forehead against yours. "Never, say that again. You're mine. And I am yours." He growled. "I'll kill that bastard with my bare hands for making you cry." He promised before crashing his lips against yours again.

Another knock at his door had Steve pulled back from you and quickly turned to face the window as he tried to calm down and hide the tent in his pants. He waited until you had jumped off the table and made yourself look a little more presentable before calling whoever was knocking in.

"Your Majesty- oh, Your Highness." Sam bowed to you. "Am I interrupting?"

"No." Steve sighed, "What is it?"

"Some of our men have caught a couple of Rumlow's goons before they escaped. No luck finding him yet." Sam frowned, "But we'll keep searching, Your Majesty."

Steve nodded, "Thank you. Keep them in the cells for tonight and we'll interrogate them first thing." Steve dismissed him and let out a frustrated sigh. "I feel useless." Steve muttered as he fell into an armchair beside the fireplace.

You nodded and placed your hand over his. "You should get some sleep."

Steve nodded, "Don't think I'll be able to sleep much." He sighed.

"Me neither." You curled up in Steve's lap as you closed your eyes, letting him wrap his arms around you.

Steve shuffled himself lower in the chair as he tightened his arms around you, resting his cheek on top of your head. "Then there's no need for either of us to rush off, is there?" He pressed a kiss to your forehead.

You shook your head. "No..." You covered your mouth as a soft yawn came out. "... There isn't..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The feeling of soft lips peppering kisses along the curve of your neck woke you from your slumber. As you began to stir, you could feel soft silk sheets against your palms and a strong arm laid over your waist, holding you against a firm chest.

"Are you awake?" Steve whispered, smiling against your neck.

You shook your head, "Nope."

Steve let out a soft chuckle. "Nice try." He reached up with his hand and lightly grabbed your chin, turning your face towards his and pressed his lips against yours. He slipped his tongue into your mouth as he slowly kissed you. He pulled back after a moment with a soft sigh. "Good morning, my love."

You let out a soft sigh, "Good morning." You smiled before letting out a gasp and quickly sitting up. "What time is it?" You looked out the window. The sun had just started to rise.

Steve raised his arms above his head and stretched. "Day break."

"I should leave before," You slipped off Steve's bed.

"Do you have to?" He asked with a groan.

You nodded with a smile as you slipped your slippers onto your feet. "We've already been far too improper, Your Majesty." You teased, looking back at him over your shoulder.

Steve rolled his eyes as he got out of bed. "Trust me, Princess. We could have been a hell of a lot more improper than just sleeping." He gave you a playful smirk making you blush. "But go, you're right. Besides, I need to speak to, Sam and Buck." He let out a heavy sigh.

You nodded and reached up, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. "I'll see you soon." You whispered before pressing a light kiss to his lips.

Steve sent you a wink as he opened the the door for you and watched you as you snuck off down the hallway towards your chambers.

"Your Majesty?" Steve jumped at the sound of Bucky's voice behind him. The brunet man chuckled, "Everything okay?"

Steve glared at him. "Perfectly. What do you want?" He grumbled making Bucky laugh.

"We should start interrogating the prisoners, Your Majesty."