04

"And then God said, love thy enemy

"And then God said, love thy enemy. And I obeyed him and loved myself."

***

"SO, ARE you excited?" I spun my head slightly to gaze at Ana, her eyes twinkled in question and I smiled at her in return. "I wouldn't say I'm necessarily happy about it." Jonah continued blabbing on in the background but I tuned him out, giving my full attention to my friend next to me. "I just want to get it over with."

She shrugged in agreement, choosing not to verbally reply to me.

I took in the detail of the room we were all standing in. The area was nothing lavish, chipped paint littered the walls in odd patterns that most-likely dated back to the 90s which seemed to be when they last painted any part of this institute. The transparent ceiling allowed the bright sunlight to shine into the room, creating streaks of light to scatter throughout the space.

My wandering eyes zoned in on one of the surrounding security guards. Liam, I think his name was. I haven't had the time to mingle with everyone or get to know them on a more personal level, which was completely unnecessary anyway but I'd feel more comfortable having other friends around here.

Before I could look away, he raised his head and I looked away as fast as my reflexes would allow and felt my cheeks tint in embarrassment. When I was certain he had cast his vision somewhere else I looked back up and his eyes were still on mine. The man sent me a small smile and I smiled back in return, relieved that there didn't seem to be any awkward tension in the room.

Liam was a tall man. He was your average buff looking guy, which you would expect for the job he currently had. His blonde hair was messily strewn on the top of his head, as if he carelessly ran his hand through it every few minutes. He had bright blue eyes, perhaps hazel if I could see that far. They seemed kind, his stoic persona was most likely a front, he had to look hard and professional to maintain his image around here.

I was pulled out of my thought bubble by a light tap on my shoulder. A woman who I had never spoken to before handed me a fairly large clump of papers, held together by a few cluttered staples at the top.

"As I speak, you're all being handed your assigned inmates information. Everything you will need to know is now in your capable hands. The statistics range from criminal records to their biggest pet peeves, any surface information will be listed down to help you through the task. Does anyone have any questions? Now would be the time to ask."

Jonah finished off his rant and looked at all the surrounding nurses in question. There were only fifty or more people, excluding the security. There had to have been hundreds, maybe even thousands of prisoner's altogether. Why were so few nurses participating? As if my mind was read, Ana raised her hand and every head turned to her.

"Yes Miss McArtan?" a look of annoyance flashed through his eyes but he kept his composure and forged a smile. I scoffed, he wanted us to ask questions and got mad when we did. Classic Jonah.