chapter 42

"Sam. I've heard a lot about you. I'm Dr Raynor, I'm Jame's therapist." Ava heard a voice from her right to see a woman greeting Sam. "And you must be Ava, I think I've heard about double for you." She smiled warmly at her as she shook her hand.

"So nice to meet you. Thank you for getting him out." Ava thanked her only to be met with a baffled look.

"That was not me." Doctor Raynor answered as Ava took her hand back in surprise.

"Then who-"

"Christina! It's great to see you again." John Walker walked through the door to meet them.

"You have got to be kidding me." Ava breathed through her teeth as she looked to see Sam equally confused.

"You know him?" Sam asked the Doctor.

"Yeah, we did some field ops back in the day." She laughed a little as John finally made it past all his fans.

"I heard you were working with Bucky, so I thought I'd step in. Bucky's not gonna be following a strict schedule for any longer." John told her as Ava looked up, concerned.

"No, that can't happen.. he still needs these sessions." Ava felt the Doctor place a hand on her shoulder in comfort.

"Who authorised this?" She asked John.

"Um.." John pointed to himself with a smile, making Ava glare at him. A buzzing from behind alerted them of Bucky's arrival through the doors. "He's too valuable of an asset to have tied up. So, just do whatever you got to do with him, then send him off to me."

"Asset? Seriously, I thought even if I didn't work with you, I could still find you tolerable. We literally fought aliens.. aliens! So get down off this 'I'm Captain America' bull and come back down to earth, for everyone sake." Ava was only met with a smirk from John as he took a step away.

"We've got some unfinished business, him and I. You too, Wilson, I'll be outside."

"James, condition of your release, session now. You too, Sam, Ava." The Doctor began walking in the direction of some empty rooms.

"That's okay, I'll be out here with.." Sam began making up an excuse only to be cut short by the Doctor.

"That wasn't a request."

Once inside the room, Ava had been told to sit on a chair in the corner for her scar to be treated to as the Doctor spoke to Bucky and Sam.

"So.. who would like to start?" She asked the two men.

"All right, look, Dr Raynor? I get it, why you want me to talk to Freaky Magoo over here. But I'm 100% fine." Sam informed her making Ava smile from her seat.

"It is my job to make sure that you're okay. And so, yeah, this may be slightly unprofessional, but it's the only way I can see of you getting over whatever's eating at you." The Doctor told them.

This is ridiculous." Sam muttered.

"Yeah, I agree." Bucky nodded his head making the Doctor smile.

"See? Making progress already. So, who wants to go first?" The boys were once again silent as they looked down at their hands. "No volunteers? Wow, how surprising. Okay, we're going to do an exercise. It's something I do with couples.."

"You should swap Sam out for Ave then." Bucky cut her off.

"Yeah, you should definitely do that." Sam added, nodding enthusiastically.

"When they are trying to figure out what kind of life they want to build together. Are you familiar with the miracle question?" The Doctor ignored their efforts as she continued.