17

VICTORS' VILLAGE WASN'T WHAT SAGE HAD IMAGINED IT TO BE

VICTORS' VILLAGE WASN'T WHAT SAGE HAD IMAGINED IT TO BE. Despite the bigger houses, the trimmed green grass and small flower gardens wrapping around the front of the home– it looked like it was part of the nicer areas of Twelve. There was nothing at all that estravagent, the fountain at the entrance was dry, and the gate had overgrown grass and weeds growing below it. And it looked as if the road leading into the village had a fresh layer of gravel put down since the only one really using the road had been Haymitch, so the upkeep had been brushed aside.

Sage had imagined smooth paved roads, clean sidewalks, and flower beds at the base of every street lamp. When he had thought of Victors' Village, he had imagined fresh air that didn't smell of the mines, crystal blue skies, and even music coming from some of the houses. But instead it was a ghost town that was big enough to help a good hunk of the families from the Seam with shelter and supplies in general. Instead all of the furbished homes sat empty, gathering dust. With the exception of the home that Haymitch had to himself, and now the home that the Everdeen's would be living in. Despite Sage being eighteen, because he was technically still supposed to be in school and wasn't married, his family was able to move there with him. Which Katniss, Prim, and their mother seemed pleasantly happy with. Sage knew that being there would be good, even for him. Enough room to move, plenty of food, heat in the winter, a place to actually escape the blazing heat in the summer months– and the fact that Katniss and Prim would never have to enter more than what was required of them...all were things that Sage was grateful for.

But how they got it was something he wasn't sure he could ever be used to.

"It really is amazing to have you back," his father said as he stepped into the living room that had been arranged for them before he arrived back in twelve. Sage had made himself comfortable after dinner, which he barely touched, as soon as his mother whisked Katniss and Prim away to give them proper baths for once. "everything feels like it's going to be okay now." he said, sitting down on the opposite side of the soft couch that Sage had seated himself in.

Sage nodded, "Doesn't seem real to be honest." Sage replied, "I feel like I'm still in the Capitol at least." he said, motioning around to the nice things in their new home.

Soren was quiet for a moment, "Well, you aren't. You're back where you should be. With us, in twelve."

"Yeah."

"Sage," his father started, "I know that we are the last people you want to talk to about things, but if you have to..." he paused, "we just worry about you, that's all. We always have, always-"

"-always will. I know." Sage muttered, rubbing his eyes. "But I'd rather not bore you with anything if it comes up. I'll talk to Haymitch about it." that wasn't a complete lie. It wasn't a matter of if anything came up. It was a matter of what else, and his parents were the last people that he wanted to talk to about it.