PROLOGUE

AS THE WARM BREEZE ENTERED THE ROOM THOUGH THE OPEN WINDOW, IT CAUSED THE YOUNGEST OF THE EVERDEEN CHILDREN TO STIR IN THE BED NEXT TO SAGE

AS THE WARM BREEZE ENTERED THE ROOM THOUGH THE OPEN WINDOW, IT CAUSED THE YOUNGEST OF THE EVERDEEN CHILDREN TO STIR IN THE BED NEXT TO SAGE. At six years old, she had learned of the Hunger Games in school. On the nights when she'd be woken up by the nightmares she practically talked herself into having right before she went to sleep— she'd make her way across the house and to their parents bed. Then, once the sun would begin to seep in through the curtains, their father would carry her to her own bed before he left for work. Then after he was gone, she'd make her way to the smallest of the rooms in the house, and would wake Sage. The first few times, Sage would bring her back to her own bed, and then would lock his door. But she'd end up with her blanket and pillow outside his door or waking him up again.

"Time to get up, Prim." Sage muttered, as he propped himself up enough to get a good look out of his window— the sky looked to be clear, and he could still see the darkness in the sky over the district as the sun creeped higher and higher. It seemed like a perfect morning, too perfect for what would be taking place in a few hours.

            He glanced back at his little sister, still sound asleep. So he slid all the way down his bed and got up that way, leaving her be. He got freshened up for the day before grabbing the leather jacket that he had managed to buy off some old and retired miner at the Hob for a good chunk of venison that he had convinced his father to let him trade down there. Of course his mother wasn't too happy about the trade, but there would be plenty more. They could spare a bit of venison. He then grabbed his sturdy boots and kept them in his hands as he crept out of his own room before going to the next room over and poking his head in to see if Katniss, his ten year old sister, was awake and waiting for him. Sure enough, she was— she was sitting up in her bed, still in her pajamas. She had her knees pulled up to her chest and she was resting her chin on one of them.

"It's a bit early for you, don't you think Kat?" he whispered to not wake their mother or Prim. Their walls were paper thin. You could hear someone drop a coin if you were quiet enough. Specially if you had sensitive ears like his mother and Prim.

Katniss sighed heavily, "So can I go with you today?" she asked, "Please? Dad said he won't be able to take me until next week."

            Hunting was something that Sage had been doing since he could properly hold a bow and arrow. He had gone with their father almost every morning when he went, but after a while he began going on his own while their father began giving Katniss the same lessons as he had given Sage. However their father couldn't go as often after his promotion in the mines, leaving one of Katniss's only hopes of going being Sage.

"Are you going to try and follow me if I say no?" he asked, arching an eyebrow as he leaned on the doorframe.

"If I have to," Katniss retorted, "you didn't catch me until we were outside the fences on Tuesday." she reminded him, a small smirk spreading across her face.  "Please, Sage? Please? I promise I won't make any big noises or anything." she pleaded, her voice getting a bit louder with every word.