10 | Battle to the Death

Will didn't answer, just solemnly dipped his head in defeat. "It's not like I have a choice," He murmured.

Nico laughed coldly. "You've finally got it through that thick skull of yours! But first I need to figure out what form of fun I'll perform on you. Physical torture? I just learned a new Nordic punishment, I'm sure you'd hate it. Maybe I'll make you kill some people! It's not like anyone else is a use to me."

Will still remained silent, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

"Scared, are we?" Nico taunted. "Adorable. You know what? Let's go with that last option of mine! I've always wondered what you'd be like as a ruthless gladiator, a complete merciless jerk. What a sight that would be to see! I'll fix you up later, don't worry." Nico turned to a guard, snapping his fingers. "You. Ready the Arena! We're going to have a tournament, Ancient Greek style! One hour. Bring the demigods - hmm - Leo Valdez, Connor Stoll, Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano, Malcom Pace, Frank Zhang, and Clarisse LaRue to the dungeons, prepare them to fight as gladiators."

"Yes, Master," The guard bowed before rushing off just as the previous had.

Nico turned to Will, an evil grin spreading across his face. "And you, the annoying child of Apollo, will be fighting against the champion of those lucky six! But don't worry, you won't be meek and merciful, I'll turn you into quite the opposite! I want this to be entertaining afterall. Who knows though? Whoever is powerful enough to defeat all those fools has a high chance of killing you."

-

"And our champion is... Leo Valdez!" Travis announced into the megaphone, pausing as the entire arena filled audience erupted into thunderous cheers. Nico sat in the head box on a pink throne, dressed in a black Peplos inspired by Ancient Greece. A black crown rested on his head. Percy sat on his lap, adorned in a matching Peplos. Annabeth sat behind them, kneeling on the ground.

Everyone in the entire arena wore clothing of Ancient Greece, matter of fact, all dressed in pink chitons or tunics. Pink banners hung from the walls of the arena, Aphrodite's symbol on them, a golden dove.

"As a recap of those exilerating games, Leo Valdez and my own brother, Connor Stoll faced against each other!" Travis said, the audience clapping at that. "The fiery Leo Valdez easily obliterating him, moving onto the next round. Next up we had our favorite Roman, Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano, and Malcom Pace, battling to the death! Reyna obviously won without a bat of her eye, moving onto the next round!

"Our final deadly pair was Frank Zhang and Clarisse LaRue, two siblings! Well, close enough. Now this was a real close call, one of the most exciting games of the night! In the end though Frank fought through, Clarisse just not able to handle all that Mars shapeshifting! The irony is hilarious!

"Leo Valdez, Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano, and Frank Zhang all fought to the death with, as we know, our champion, Leo Valdez, winning in the end! Friends to enemies, how exciting, right?" Travis said cheerfully. The audience roared and clapped. "Leo ended up burning the two to death, just like the monster we all knew he was! At least it's fun to watch!"

The crowd proceeded to cheer even more, and Nico turned to Percy. "And how are you enjoying yourself, baby?" Nico purred.

"I'm having an excellent time," Percy said, nuzzling his face into Nico's neck, "It's so fun to see people turn on each other just like that. You're such a genius, my Ghost King."

"I am, aren't I?" Nico smirked.

"And now, the warrior we've all been waiting for, WILLIAM SOLACE!" Travis announced, causing the greatest applause from the crowd all night.

Will was lead into the Arena by several guards, held back with a chain around his neck. He wasn't anything like how you'd expect him to be in this situation though. He smirked cockily and was playfully twirling an arrow in his hand as if he just couldn't wait to pierce someone with it. He seemed too... confident, too cocky, too... happy?

The guards unchained him, shoving him forward roughly before leaving the Arena. Will quickly regained himself though, spinning in a circle, smirking arrogantly as the crowd cheered him on.

"Oh, but what's this?" Travis gasped in mock surprise. "A twist! Our two warriors will be stripped of their godly abilities during this battle! We'd want things to be fair, wouldn't we?"

As Leo was brought into the arena, he and Will both momentarily flashed pink but neither seemed to notice anything. As soon as the conch horn blew symbolizing to start fighting, the two boys did just that.

Fighting to the death.

-

"I can't believe I... I just did that."

Will stared down at his hands in horror, locked into a cell alone with nothing but guilt. He had killed Leo Valdez in cold blood. He was a monster.

This isn't your fault! Nico made you do it! Will tried to tell himself.

It is my fault. Nico just changed my personality. He didn't force me to kill Leo. I did it. I'm the monster here.

Will froze when he suddenly heard slow clapping. He shuffled backwards. "Quite the show you had today, Will!" Nico smirked, stepping out of the shadows. "I'm impressed, truly."

"You're sick," Will growled.

"Like your opinion matters," Nico rolled his eyes. "I'd love to keep messing with you, it's quite enjoyable, really, but Aphrodite requested me to send you to her. Well, you and a few others, whatever. I'll see you later, William! Well, maybe."