ONE

My hands rested on my lap, as I sat inside a cab waiting to reach my destination

My hands rested on my lap, as I sat inside a cab waiting to reach my destination. I looked around from the window, some time had passed since I've been back to London. I was nervous to see my brother after some years and see for myself how he's doing after the war. He sounded fine on the phone, but I knew life after a war will never be the same. John and I were best friends growing up, he was the one I looked up on and I was relieved to know I could still count on him.

My thoughts were cut short when I noticed I wasn't moving anymore. I quickly looked at my left to see we were stopped in front of the address my brother told me. 221b Baker Street. I paid the cabby and grabbed my handbag before exiting the vehicle. I stood for some seconds in front of the building, looking up to follow it's height before taking a deep breath and knocked the door.

My brows frowned when I noticed the door wasn't locked and slightly opened because of my knocking. I hesitantly pushed the door slowly before going inside and closing it for good this time. In front of me there was a small hall and a staircase and next there was another door. I remember John telling me their landlady lives below him and his flatmate so I assumed their flat's probably the one up the stairs.

''Hello?'' I asked before I made another step. After I got no answer I slowly made my way to the stairs. The closer I got upstairs the loudest I heard weird noises. Like someone was battling up there. ''John?'' I called out before I reached the first floor, facing a door. The noises were coming from that door and I was starting to get worried. What the hell was happening in there.

I opened the door and my eyes widened immediately before the bag fell from my hand on the floor. I found myself staring at two men fighting with each other. Only the one of them was dressed is weird clothes, probably Arabian and had a sord. Seconds later they both realised my pressence and froze as they stared back at me. The other man was very tall, with curly long black hair and wore a suit. Before I could think anything else the man with the sord attacked him again and they started fighting once more.

My hand immediately went to my pocket for my phone to call the police but I guess they noticed and the guy with the sord charged at me. I yelled slightly as he swang his sord at me hitting the wall instead of my head because I ducked. He went to attack me again but the tall guy grabbed him from behind and threw him back inside the flat before giving him a punch which made him fall on the floor unconsious. The tall guy, I guessed is my brother's flatmate, looked at the unconsious man and straightened his jacket with a satisfied look. I stood there, sitting on the floor with my back against the wall and wide eyes not able to breath normally.

''Who are you?'' I asked, my voice unsteady. The tall man turned to me, as if he forgot I was here eyeing me up and down. Slowly I managed to stand up again.

''Who are you?'' he asked, first time I heard his normal voice after some groaning from the fighting. It was deeper than I thought it would be and not quite welcoming. Since he didn't answer my question I chose to answer his.