Red Pearls (Lydia and Mickey)

On my travels with Mickey, the two of us received plenty of gift offers from the packs we resided with as signs of gratitude. We refused nearly all of them, mostly because we didn't need the extra baggage on our journey. However, as we were leaving our most recent pack, Mickey discretely accepted a gift without my knowledge. Only after we were on our way to the next destination did he reveal just what he was given.

"A pomegranate?" I blinked.

The couple we just helped was a vampire and a werewolf. Because of their relationship, neither of their clans wanted anything to do with them, and they were left to fend for themselves. Mickey and I were asked to provide nothing more than companionship and security to the couple while they came to terms with their bond and the start of something more.

During our stay, the vampiress often ate pomegranates. Though vampires usually have no desire to eat food, the pomegranates served a different purpose for her.

Children between mythics wasn't uncommon, but it was different when it came to the couple we helped. Unless given the perfect conditions, and maybe even a boost with magic, a natural pregnancy rarely ever occurred between a couple of different mythic species. That was where the pomegranates came into play.

While the fruit was deemed a normal food source by mortals, this specific variety actually possessed hidden magical prowess in fertility. Consuming pomegranates didn't guarantee anything, but instead, helped increase the chances of conceiving.

And now, we apparently have one.

"What are you planning to do with that?" I asked.

Mickey turned the red fruit around in his palm. "Jaime told me it will last, at most, another three days before it goes bad."

Jaime, the vampiress we just helped, had a small supply of pomegranates for consumption. They were so rare, I didn't think she would be willing to easily give one away for free.

"So it'd be best if it were put to use before then, right?"

He lifted his gaze from the fruit to my eyes. "Correct."

We stared at each other, observing for the other's reaction.