002. let's trauma dump cutely

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・* 🌊 *・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ* 🌊 * ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿

PAIN was all that Percy could process as his eyes opened to find a girl hovering over him worriedly but also hesitantly, as if she wasn't sure if she should be worried in the first place.

Her fiery red hair was in a low ponytail, flying in the wind every now and then. Her eyes were a golden type of hazel, meeting his as she processed that the boy was awake. She wore a white zip up hoodie over a black shirt, paired with grey sweatpants that she had cuffed to not trip over. She was pretty without trying, but Percy was still wondering if all that had happened had been a nightmare or not to take in the fact a pretty girl looked worried for him.

"Hey," she said softly, taking a hold of his hand, before her eyes widened and she pulled away. "Sorry. I'm not supposed to be here, actually. But the blonde girl was kind of harsh with treating you, like she wanted you awake with a lot of pain. So now I'm here. I hope that's fine."

Percy looked around for a moment before their eyes met. "Uhh.. it's fine, I guess. Um, who are you? Do you know where we are?"

The girl stared at him curiously for a moment, before shrugging and offering a hand. Percy took it and sat up.

"I'm Valentina. Val for short," the girl smiled. "Welcome to Camp Half-Blood. And don't worry, I'm new, too."

Percy smiled back. "Percy Jackson."

"Nice to meet you, Percy."

The first tragedy: Meeting the son of Poseidon.

ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ* 🌊 * ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿

Percy Jackson stared at the redheaded girl in the Aphrodite table, looking very uncomfortable and occasionally looking over at Luke Castellan in question. The nineteen years old only shook his head subtly.

Later, he mouthed to her.

Percy wondered what they were referring to.

He figured he shouldn't get into that business anymore, since he had caused enough trouble with the daughter of Ares earlier. He did see Val laugh silently when he passed by, so maybe just one question.

After the campfire songs, Percy quickly caught up to the redheaded girl, who had been going for the docks for some reason. She sensed him behind her and turned, arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah?"

"Hi." Percy said awkwardly.

She smiled, seemingly understanding his anxiety. "Hello."

They stood there for another awkward moment.

"So.." Percy started. "How long have you been here?"

She stared for another moment. "The same time as you, actually."

"Uh.." he didn't know what to say now.

"Did you want something?"

They stood there, staring at each other. Percy had forgotten what he was to ask until it clicked.

"The infirmary. You were there. You were also there when my mom disappeared. Do you know where she is? She's around here somewhere, right?"

She looked at him in pity and patted his shoulder. "I was there, yeah, but I don't know exactly what happened. Luke was there before me. Even he didn't know what happened."

Percy felt his heart ache. His mom was really gone. "Oh."

Val smiled. "Why don't you come with me to the lake? It's really calm there. And I've been here for three days."

"Okay."

They walked towards docks in silence, Val looking around while Percy looked down.

His mom couldn't be gone. She just couldn't. Maybe someone, the Minotaur, took her somewhere and Percy could still find her.

"Here!" Val smiled, sitting on the edge and dipping her feet in the water. Percy looked around for anyone before he walked over and sat beside her, pulling his knees to his chest.

"I don't think we had a really good introduction. Hi, I'm Val. I'm new to camp, too." Val said, holding out her hand to the other demigod.

Percy took it and shook it as well. "Percy. I don't really know what's going on."

Val laughed, "Who does anymore?"

"So how did you get here?"

She went quiet, her eyes looking at the water. "Complicated story..."

"I'll listen."

She gave him a look and rolled her eyes. "My house burned down behind my back when I thought my dad came home and was outside the gate. Still don't know who did it. My dad's car was there but he definitely wasn't there. He was just... gone."

She fidgeted with her hands. "Luke found me and saved me from burning. He said he was passing by and he saw the smoke so he came to check on it. Apparently he heard me scream."

"Oh."

"Yeah, oh."

The silence was tense.

"I got here because I did something I shouldn't have," Percy admitted. "My teacher turned out to be an actual monster and tried to kill me and my other teacher is a centaur who handed me a pen that was actually a sword. Long story short: I killed my teacher and it somehow ended up with my mom disappearing."

"Intense." Val said.

"She would offer me a cookie by now, y'know? A blue one. Then she'd give me a hug."

Val turned to him. "We can make cookies right now, I know where the kitchens are. If you want I'll get Mr D to hug you, too. He owes me some shit."

"I think I'll just take the cookies offer."