Say Hello to Your New Home

We pull into the big black iron gates after an hours drive from the airport into the Spanish countryside, to say it went painfully slow and awkward is an understatement. We followed the long drive up, passing fruit trees that adorned either side of the drive, with colours of orange, yellow and green filling my eyes, either side of the drive was black iron fencing which encased two green paddocks filled with a few horses basking in the sunshine. I had read on Catalinas website that all paddocks had an irrigation system which meant grass, this was a good thing as so many equestrian facilities in Spain only had dry desert like paddocks but these were lovely, my horse will love it here, he loves food. The drive went on for a fairly long time, longer than I thought it would be and slowly the big old Spanish country house came into view, growing in size the closer we got to it with a beautiful round water feature siting centre stage of the drive with a beautiful rearing horse fountain, Luís pulls around the fountain so we are in front of the house and puts the car into park. 

We both get out, the warm air hitting me. It is getting on to the middle of the afternoon now and you can tell, the day is at its hottest and my body is calling out for food, literally it rumbled as I went to open the boot to get my luggage; embarrassed at the noise my body just let out I tried to hide my red face, red from embarrassment not the heat may I add and grabbed my bags from the car. Before I knew it Luis was waiting at the top steps, holding the door open for me, "Are you coming or are you going to stand there even longer?" He abruptly snapped at me where I was still standing by the steps, for someone native to Spain he spoke really good English, I looked away from him and started the struggle of dragging my bags up the steps, my big and overly heavy bag was causing me the most trouble and I couldn't hold all 4 things, a big suitcase, a small trolly suitcase, handbag and my riding hat bag which I definitely didn't want to drop, this was hard especially balancing them on the narrow steps! I hear a loud huff behind me and then see a hand reach out and grab my biggest suitcase, I turn and smile at Luís, "Thank you, I was really struggling" I said, pretty sarcastically as I would have thought he would have offered to carry my bag up, by the car not half way up the steps after watching me struggle, "No problem, it was fun to watch for a bit but can't have my mums new rider get a broken back before you have even got on a horse" Luis said with a smirk, oh he finds himself funny does he, wait till he feels just quite how heavy my suitcase is, in three... two...one... "Jeez what do you have in this thing!" Luís gasps turning to me, "well your mums new groom is going to be around for quite a while so I'm going to need at least a few changes of clothes, and we haven't even mentioned the fun I'm going to have in my time off and I can't be expected to wear riding clothes then as well, can I" I said to him, span on my heels and took the rest of my bags up to the door and held it open for him, he slowly followed me up, huffing and puffing but trying with all his might to pretend that he wasn't struggling although it was fairly obvious just by looking at him that he was struggling, let alone to hear him! "By the looks of your struggles I'm guessing you don't do much strengthening work around the yard with the horses?" I giggle to myself, that was a good one although I'm pretty sure we a building up a fairly resentful friendship at this point... Oops!

I followed him through the door, I was greeted with white marble tiles and white washed walls, a grand hallway with flowers filling the room with colour, a white marble staircase and black iron banister made the hall look even grander, "kitchen is straight on but lets go upstairs. So we can drop your bags off at your room" Luís said as I followed him up the stairs, slowly. We got to my room at the end of a long corridor, again white marble but this time the walls stood with hanging pictures of many horses, beautiful Spanish horses. He dropped my bag in the middle of my bedroom floor, "I'm off. Mum will probably be down in the kitchen within half an hour. Give her a text when you're sorted if she isn't downstairs, the yard isn't too hard to find" Luis said before he left, he couldn't wait to get out of here, "Thank you, sorry the bag was so heavy to carry", "No problem, I guess it would have to be if I'm stuck with you for the next few months" He smirked and gave me a wink as he walked away. My cheeks going bright red, well that was a different side of Luis I was not expecting. Still rude, but I don't know if it was me but I could sense that was a slightly flirtatious sentence, well for him anyway. 

I turn around to look at my bags and figure out what to do first, I scan the room taking in my new home, the floor still white marble, and white walls. This time I had two floor length windows either side of a small set of white French doors leading onto a Juliet balcony, at least this gives me a bit of fresh air and some natural light to wake up to in the morning, on the right hand side wall stood a dark mahogany wooden bed dressed with white crisp sheets and a cute turquoise blue trim, my favourite colour, opposite the bed was the same style wooden wardrobe and next to it a dressing table, stool and mirror, how cute, by the window was a full length mirror, on the other side of the room next to the doorway was a chest of draws. Unfortunately no bathroom so I guess I'm sharing the main house bathroom, although I haven't got a clue where that is. I start unpacking and before you know it an hour has passed and my phone starts to ring, oh its Catalina. 

"Hello, Olivia I was calling to see where you were? I'm sorry I couldn't welcome you into my home but I'm finally away from the horses and have some time, I hope you are okay?" Catalina asks,

"Oh hi, sorry I must have lost track of time! I have been unpacking my things in my room, Luís showed me up. I've just finished, would you like me to head down to the kitchen?" I asked, my tummy rumbling in succession, even louder than last time. I really must eat. 

"Thats okay, I'm glad you are settling in well, of course come down I have just sorted out some food for you, I would imagine you are very hungry..."  Catalina replies, just like her son, she too speaks very good English. I make my way down the stairs towards the kitchen, I'm looking forward to seeing what Spanish food she has to offer! 

"Hello! So lovely to finally meet you, I am Catalina" The woman exclaimed the second I walked through the door into the kitchen, the smell of all sorts of food hitting my nose, making my tummy grumble, Catalina was smaller than what I expected probably only an inch shorter than me I suppose, I am five foot four, she had olive tanned skin paired with gorgeous rich brown wavy hair that fell to her shoulders, her dark brown eyes glistening as she walks towards me, arms extended out to embrace me in a warm hug, not the sort of hug you would give a girl you have only just met but for some reason it felt like I had known her for years after the numerous phone calls and emails, "Hello, its amazing to finally be here! Thank you so much for having me" I replied to her, as we pulled away from our hug, she smiled "No problem at all, I am rather excited to have you here and to show you everything we have to offer you. But first, you must be starving! Sit! I have made a few bits and pieces for you but don't eat too much because I hope you don't mind but I have organised a meal tonight with a few people I can't wait to introduce you too. That wont be until around 9pm though so make sure you have enough now and then I will take you down to the stables. Did Luís tell you why I could not pick you up? My mares were foaling, they are beautiful, I will show you them too" Catalina finally took a breath, she seems super happy to have me here but in all fairness I feel the same way. I made my way to the table and sat down to eat, in front of me was a bit of ham and cheese, bread with olive oil and a big slice of cake with lemon drizzle icing. "Its not a lot but I thought best save yourself for a big meal this evening, I must admit I think I have planned to cook too much food but I suppose you came here for the full Spanish experience and I will provide that" Catalina says, she seems slightly shy but very welcoming into her beautiful home. 

I start to eat, trying to finish as quick as I can so I can head down to the stables and explore my surroundings.