prolouge

I finish my mamoth sized breakfast in record time and set up the dining table for the rest of the house. I usually make a lot of breakfast so there’s always enough for all three of them; even with my own big self.

After leaving mum a post-it note to say I’ve left, I take my £5 share of lunch money from the clear cookie jar on the coffee table and  swing my backpack over my shoulder and before finally leaving the flat.

School for me is simply a nightmare waiting to happen. Walking into Maths, I am unsurprised to find that I’m the first in class. Even Mr Jenkins, my teacher isn’t here yet.

This was just the perfect time for me to study. I get straight to it and find that when the bell rang for the beginning of class, I have aced almost half of the whole unit of Algebra. Typical me, using books as a way to avoid the fact that my life a lone mess.

When Mr Jenkins walks in, he doesn’t even have to turn his head in my direction to know that I am already inside.

“Good morning Miss Banks and how are you today?” He asks cheerfully.

I smile back even though he isn’t facing me “Very well, thank you sir.”

He stacks his folders onto his desk and turns to me “We’re studying Algebra today.”

“Yes, I am aware.” I say with a small smile.

“Yes well I am only telling you this because I have realised that you are not very fond of raising your hand during class.”

"Ok?"  It is only after I let the word slip out of my mouth before I realise how blunt it sounded. But then again, what else I am to say to that? Its not as if im obligated to participate in class, my only aim is to go through this last year of high school as subtetly and unnoticed as possible.

“And I know that you are one of the best Algebra Students I have ever taught in all my 25 years of teacher here.”

I chuckle awkwardly at his judgement “Mr Jenkins, I..”

“No I'm serious Eva .”

I bow my head to hide the fact that im really not interested in hearing another one of his inputs on how I should be more 'out-there'.

I look up to find him standing infront of my desk

“You know,Evalyn you shouldn’t think too low of yourself, you’re an amazing student.”

 Soon after the short conversation with Mr Jenkins, the class begins to fill up with the commotion of the students too.

“Settle down class.”

Class quietens down and the lesson finally begins. Well not for some anyways, because immediately I am about to draw a line underneath the date which I have neatly written, the doors open once agian. I lift my head only to meet contact with the one girl who has single-handedly ruined whatever life it is I have left in me, and also makes it her obligation to continue to do so till the day I rot in hell. Her words, not mine.

Sometimes I wonder why she is even in my classes because in the high school which I attend, all the highest achieving students are put into one class and the rest are split into other classes. And knowing Summer all my life, I am very aware that she has as much knowledge of anything educational as Taylor Swift does on relationships. But then I am also aware that she gets some of the other smarter kids in my classes to do her work for her.

As she walks down the rows of seats the attention of the entire class is on her. Mainly because the skirt she is wearing is 10 sizes too small and along with the fact that she wears lingerie socks with them, you could practically make out her bum cheeks.