Chapter 21

Amber

"How about a dance?" .

I wanted to dance, but not with him. With someone else. Someone who had finally breached the crowd and was watching on. That frown still firmly in place, pinching the lines of his strong forehead. Someone who had already shot me down. Someone who was here with my best friend.

"Sure." I told Brad, turning so we were face to face, close but not touching.

Over his shoulder I could watch Alec, who was watching me right back. He was standing there in the middle of the moving bodies, feet planted and arms crossed, completely unmovable.

Let him see what he's missed out on. I thought as I moved closer to Brad, snaking my hands onto his shoulders and I moved to the song.

Kelly must have also noticed Alek, as now she was moving up on him. At first he didn't even seem to notice her until she touched his arm using it to pull him closer.

For a brief second our eyes met and seemed to silently communicate.

Don't you dare..

Are you going to stop?

No..

Throwing an irritating smirk my way, Alek dropped his guard and allowed Kelly to pull him into the beat. Though they still were not touching, fury instantly filled me, ruining my alcohol induced zen.

If he wanted to play like that, I would make him pay.

I didn't have to look over to know he was watching. I could feel his eyes burning into me. As the music speed up I pulled Brad's body closer so we were now moving with each other.

Wanting to see Alek's reaction I looked over and regretted it immediately. Kelly now had her arms around Alek's neck, playing with his shirt collar as she moved slowly closer. Now only inches seemed to be separating the two.

Pissed I turned back to Brad. I didn't need Alek, Brad was perfect. And Brad was pulling me closer still with a hand to my back. It was just too bad that it felt nothing like when Alek touched me.

Determined to loose myself in the music again I spun so my back was to Brads front and he wrapped his arms around me, enveloping me in his body. Unfortunately, when I opened my eyes it was to find that we had somehow turned so I was now faced head on with the sight of Alek, with Kelly dancing in his arms.

I couldn't take it.

As something inside my chest spasmed in pain I broke away from Brad. A small cry escaped my lips which I quickly covered with a shaking hand.

"Amber?" I heard Brad call for me in concern

"I just need some air." I managed, clutching at my chest as I pushed my way through the crowd.

As I moved, the smoke machine must have been turned on. All around me everyone disappeared as clouds took over the room, colored lights flashing in the smoke reflecting in each direction. If I wasn't hurting so bad then I would have been impressed.

Hell I should be impressed. This was my handy work. My dream come to life for my Senior Homecoming. But I couldn't enjoy it. Not without having him.

Then a hand snaked through the smoke and grabbed onto my own, stopping my progress and pulling me into a hard form.

"What the fuck was that all about?" Alek demanded, fury filling his tone that matched my own.

"I was dancing with my date." I snapped, slapping a hand against his chest. "How about you tell me what you were doing? I thought it wasn't a real date?"