Chapter 3

Mountain Lake, were I had lived my entire life, was in the central region of Georgia. It was known for being one of the largest man made lakes around and the stunning mountain  views surrounding the lake.

Most of the town of Mountain Lake and residential areas were located on the Southern and Eastern sides of the lake, where the land was more level and houses were able to be built right along the lake shore.

The Northern side of the lake was mostly untouched, with thick forest taking over the landscape. Here instead of manicured lawns with man made beaches and docks, there were steep hill sides and cliffs that dropped off suddenly into the depths of the lake. For this reason, the North side was where they had positioned the Alien Containment Compound.

It was also where we were heading for the day.

The Alien Containment Compound, or ACC, butted up right against the lake and you would think that would make it a heavily regulated area. However , it turned out to be just the opposite. The area was normally completely avoided, except for those teens looking to break the law and avoid detection. As a result it had become known as the party spot.

As Kelly and I snaked our way down one of the curving coves, bordered on one side by a ten foot drop off and the other by the slanting side of a mountain, it felt as though we were the only people on the lake.

Here the water was smooth and ducks took flight around us as we disturbed their peaceful paradise. It was a stark contrast to the congested waters of the main channels, where boats fought for the right-a-way and large waves threatened to crest over the side of your boat at every turn.

I was still trying to work the stress knots out of my neck from trying to dodge boats that were pulling tubers and the jet skiers that were determined to ride my wake. The last day of summer was definitely not the ideal time to be out driving on the lake but once we met up with everyone it would be worth it.

"Where are they?" Kelly complained pulling out her phone to check the others status updates and hopefully pin down their location.

"They're probably just further in the channel." The more people and alcohol that was going to be involved the further back into the northern channel the group would retreat in hopes of avoiding detection, though I had never seen the police come back in the Northern channel at all. They tended to turn a blind eye to anything to do with this side of the lake.

Sure enough, around the next bend we saw a grouping of at least five boats, two house boats and a collection of jet skis. It looked like the party was already in full swing, with music blasting and bodies filling the water on floats.

Kelly jumped up from her lounging position to lean over me and blare our boats horn. Kelly didn't know how to make a subtle entrance. With everything she did she had to be the center of attention, something that some found annoying but that I loved about her.

The horn managed to get the affect she wished for as heads turned to see who was approaching. Hands flew up in the air when our boat was recognized.

"There's Brad's boat." Kelly motioned to a wake boarding boat that was parked at the end of the grouping. Sure enough, there was Brad's scraggly blond mane of hair as he worked ropes and bumpers onto the side of his boat for me to hook up to. No doubt he had been saving the spot beside him just for this purpose, all to make parking - something I wasn't the best at - easier for me.

"He is so gorge." Kelly sighed as we slowly got closer and could make out more of Brad. "You are so lucky."

I had to admit that Brad was a catch. Not only was he smart, captain of our football team, and son of a well known local lawyer, he was also sweet hearted and as Kelly had mentioned easy on the eyes. As he leaned over the boat to attach more roping his ab muscles were on full display.