Ruv

F*** this shit. There's nothing that gets me up in the morning. No good shows, no lucky finds, no nothin'. I've been hanging around town for almost an hour. I could blame my indolence. I wasn't exactly productive with my habits. 

Maybe that was the reason why I didn't enjoy anything to an extent. A nearby convenience store permeated scents of alcoholic beverages. a waft of chicken ham and beef refrigerated inside those cooler thingies behind tampered glass. Hell if I knew what they were, I wasn't starving but those products looked edible regardless of hunger.

In times like these, I just walk around for as long as I want to. Like a dreamless shell. This certainly wouldn't be called hard at work at all. Nothing to obtain afterward but since I've been doing this for minutes on end, I guess it contributes to more stamina building.

I feel disappointed.

People eyed me up as if I'd stepped out of a mental ward. Sarvente did say I needed to smile more often around people who deem me wary. It's been backfiring ever since. When I do get to show off my teeth, men and women run off in the other direction. 

My expression was like 'I'm looking for a fight, come at me' rather than 'Yo. I'm just living my day. How about you?' That's what Sarvente keeps saying. Does being myself really scare people that much? Sarvente gathered enough corroboration that I indeed was incapable of showing optimism no matter what method I used.

Things that made me laugh? I guess there was nothing. Not even someone peeing his pants inside the church could land a chuckle. I did however feel terrible Sarvente cleaned up the mess on the floors on that day. I scuffled a bit with the wrongdoer for being too weak as compensation.

With those thoughts in mind, I strode back to the church where Sarvente kept preaching to any regular commonfolk visiting and praying. It was ironic, more than ridiculous a demon would encourage humans to practice their faith stronger. It's nice to be around her but churches really bore me. 

Had Sarvente succumbed to her true nature and disguised herself to wreak havoc on humanity, I would've actually believed her nun pose clever. However, that wasn't the case. She was hard at work, as always, entangled with the church's affairs. 

Out of all the people in the world, I found her more bearable and comfortable to be with. She never asks anything from me that would entail me getting angered. She was rather frugal, seeking only basic necessities when it was appropriate. In combat? That woman wasn't brittle at all. I sometimes believe I can beat her but her true strength wouldn't be so discreet if she wanted a challenge.

She doesn't complain either. I still can't believe I've made a friend despite how I am. Everyone's destined to have companions sooner or later. 

"Hey Ruv! Did you buy up dog? I heard it's the new whoopee for humans!" 

"What's up dog? F*** you got me with that shit again..." I cursed. How the hell do I keep falling for that every time? 

Sarvente had to explain to me the meaning of that joke for fifteen minutes in the past for me to understand it.

Sarvente covered her laughs with her white-gloved hands. I would usually beat a person up if they made fun of me but Sarvente meant no harm. Even if she tried batshit crazy jokes with me, I'd try asking her first what her intentions were.  The normal reaction was to just accept I got tricked. My reactions were worth it as mentioned by her. 

I don't understand how this boulder-spirit expression gets her chuckling like she'd heard a subtle fart from across the room. 

Eh. If Sarvente enjoys herself, that's good enough for me. 

After laughing, she returned back to her dutiful aura, pouting at me like I'd done something earth-shattering. "I told you numerous times, Ruuuuv. You mustn't swear in front of-"

"Yeah yeah... Or else I won't go to heaven. A lot of people are going down with me if that's the case. I won't be the only one." 

"Don't be like that. I know you have a better chance than I do, after all," she said, this time seriously. 

"Eh, my bad. Anyway, same old same old?" I asked her. After her duties, we'd go out to a fast food joint, eat and discuss our lives. I was trying to learn a few languages from Sarvente as well. If I can't enjoy the habits I know of then I'll try learning Sarvente's. 

She spoke fluent Nihonggo with me one time and it felt like I was talking to a different person. When she spoke Mandarin, I firmly told her I'll stick with Spanish. Sarvente's been all over the world. As she reverted back to English, the world stopped cracking.

"Um... I can't join you tonight. I'm moving houses."

"What?!" I yelled out. One of the chandeliers above the church shook. 

"Shh! Calm down, there are children here!" Sarvente put her index finger in between my lips.

"Oh shit, right..." A passing by nun glared at me. "Sorry about that."

"Hmph!" The nun retreated.

"K."

"Please don't break anything Ruv... We've recently purchased a beautiful glass painting with its visually appealing iconography... I'd hate for the expenses to double when we've splurged on it last month." Sarvente held my shoulders, offering me a smile of assurance and protection.

"Forgive me for that, Sarvente. I wasn't thinking clearly," I said, calming down.

"As long as you acknowledge our hard work! Saving money is harder than spending it after all!" I'm sometimes confused about how a demon feels so human compared to other humans.

"What do you mean moving houses?  I live right beside you and I've never heard of it until now. Of course, I'd be affected." 

"It's nothing too drastic.. Hehe... Thanks for worrying though, Ruv. I actually... wanted it to be a surprise." she said, a bit of red in her cheeks.

"Why? What the heck is happening, Sarvente? You don't feel safe in your home? I'll beat up whoever's disturbing you."

"No no... Nothing of the sort. Remember how you said you wanted to live with me?"

"Yeah...?" I squinted my eyes at her trying to connect the dots. "Oh. OH. Oh. You were actually serious about that? So that's why you kept asking me for coins even if they were only a few..."

"Didn't you want to?! We can be closer this way! And wouldn't sharing a house be more fun than living in it alone?" 

I guess I can use a real toilet now then instead of a bucket.

"Thank you, Sarvente. Want me to wait until your work period ends?"

"Hehe, just don't scare the children."