Ruv's Assistance

Sarvente flaunted the interior of our new home like she found treasure buried underneath the ocean. It took a couple of seconds for me to ingest the newfound reality before me. The exterior was a calm sapphire, the roof, and fences a crystal white. A nice two-floor house.

I was staying with Sarvente, possibly the only friend I could tolerate to a level of companionship and trust. I wasn't able to believe easily in other people. Most of humanity was doomed anyway, there was only so much commitment you can provide for one person. When I look at the comfortable sofa situated in front of the flat-screen television, my heart honestly swelled up and wanted to combust out of beatitude, considering we'd fought numerous times back then about pointless arguments.

There were two doors that led to our rooms, Sarvente's door was coated with sugar pink and white; as expected of her. Mine was colored in gray and splashed with dark blue. Sarvente guided me by the hand, showing me the bathroom, our toothbrushes already off-the-shelf. It was a normal-sized bathroom but we'd focused on our rooms next.

Sarvente had told me that the refurbishments to our home weren't finished yet. I could put my faith in that statement because her room was pretty much empty, along with mine. Aside from that, the floorplan was spic and span, everything was set in place. 

I didn't deserve any of this. After the crimes I've done, I didn't regret doing them either. A moment of clarity made me realize I was severely negligent in my past, incapable of reason, and my will lost because of some harsh truths that engulf society as a whole.

The strong only help the weak when they see it fit. In this situation, Sarvente was only helping me because she wanted to. I didn't know what to feel and I'm not sure if I could reward her with a smile. I just hope she realizes I'm grateful. I'd give anything besides a smile.

"You already saw our rooms. You're gonna like the cathedral area the construction workers built for us! Wait till you see the balcony too! Ah, but don't put all your weight in it, it might break! Want to see the mezzanine? It leads to our own private studio where we can create songs of glory and praise!"

I gripped her forearm, surprisingly her body was cushionlike as if I could rip it apart but I knew Sarvente's true form. This halted her tracks of going upstairs. She turned to look at me, confused but open to discuss anything. She could break my hold on her anytime and I don't think I could stop her if that'd happen.

"Ruv?" 

"Thank you, Sarvente. I owe you a lot."  I meant it.

Sarvente poked at my shoulder teasingly, "You keep thanking me as of late. Maybe help me with purchasing furniture while you're appreciative. It would make your gratitude have some manacles on it." 

"Figures. You said there was a studio? I'll make you a song." 

She poked my head. She's been touchy recently. "We already sing a lot in church. Just help me with the appliances and such. You can roll the cart, I'll do the choosing."

"That won't do. I'll help with the furniture, I'll choose some things for myself too."

I wasn't going to lie, I seemed to want to carry her there and swing her around. 

"Seems fair. In terms of money... erm... You saved up for emergencies, right?" she asked.

"I have a bucket full of coins, count me in."

***

"Why the heck are you buying a chainsaw, Ruv?!" Sarvente panicked, taking the weapon away from me. 

I don't know what to call this aisle but electrical accessories sounded right in my head. Sarvente's been getting some pretty useless stuff. A coffee machine, a stove, and a microwave. I don't think we need those things. A refrigerator would've been more useful in my opinion. 

A chainsaw, however, was not at all useless in the slightest. 

"You're scaring some of the old ladies around here! Don't hold it like you're about to turn someone into goo!" She shoved the thing back on the shelf, some of her strands of pink hair hit my face as she bent down to put the chainsaw back in its original place. 

"What do you mean? It's an all-around device perfectly capable of mowing the lawn and scaring away possible members of some yakuza, kills two birds with one stone." I say outright.

 We might have been like megaphones at that point. 

"The town's free of any vile vermin like that, thank you very much! Bless your soul, even burglars wet their pants at the sight of you." Sarvente palmed her forehead. 

"Okay, my bad. On another point, I don't think I've ever seen you dressing casually, Sarvente." She was wearing a pink collarless jacket with long sleeves, some custom short black skirt she probably knitted herself, and black boots. It was completely different from the nun attire I'd always seen her adorn. Her pink hair was falling down past her shoulders. 

"Oh yeah, come to think of it, you always see me at the church. It must be because we're living together now!" She giggled. "Why? Does it stand out too much?"

"Yeah, you look really pretty, Sarvente."

Sarvente swiftly turned her back after I said that, grabbing hold of the cart's handles to move to the next aisle. It was so fast I couldn't even match her movements. Did she see something dangerous behind me? I don't think she'd run away if that were the case though.

It didn't register in my head that I needed to walk to move closer to her again.

"Hey, so we're really not going to buy the chainsaw?" I try going after her. 

I must've looked suspicious in front of the customers.

"You're the closest thing to a chainsaw, you idiot!" she yelled out, her footing uneven.