Chapter 17: dancing

Chapter 17: dancing

I don't own fablehaven

Kendra's POV

Bracken led me out the door. We were both smiling, mine a bit queasier. Something seemed to have come over me. What made this time any different? Nothing! Well, except we were going to a dance...and would be dancing. Never mind that.

I opened the driver's door and slid in. Warren had once joked how if Bracken had ever wanted to surprise me going somewhere, it either would not work or we would need a driver. I told him Bracken had a magic fairy place, which in itself was awesome, but also connected to shrines all over the world. I definitely won that one.

Once Bracken was in, I started the car and we drove off. The conversation was light and nice, if not a bit awkward. Or maybe it just me. Bracken looked fine. Did he even want to go to this? I bet it was going to be stupid. I should just—

"Kendra, are you alright?" Bracken asked.

I paused, still driving, and then I realized my face had pressed together. "Just a bit nervous." I looked over at him as we came to a red light. "I've never been to a real dance. I guess I just don't want to be let down."

He looked me in the eyes and reached out to put a hand on my shoulder. "It'll be fun, I promise."

I grinned. "How do you know that? You've never been to a prom." He opened his mouth but closed it when he couldn't find the correct thing to say. I turned back to look forward. "Checkmate."

"Ah, an expression I understand."

"Should I be worried?"

"Yes. Seth has interesting things to say."

"Seth doesn't play chess."

"He does not," Bracken agreed.

I might have snorted right then. Bracken side-eyed me. In the time I've known him, my pile of inside jokes on him had accumulated to an impressive amount. This one of course referred to his own snort. Very much horse-like indeed. Still an odd thought. But hilarious.

Such conversation continued (which I enjoyed—teasing Bracken was a favorite past time of mine) and eventually we pulled into the parking lot of the high-school. The anxious feeling started to bubble up again. I didn't even notice Bracken had slipped out until he appeared by my side of the door. He opened it and helped me out. He offered an arm and I took it. He gave me a large smile as we made our way to the entrance where people crowded around. In fact, there were a lot of people. Crowds were normally fine—and I knew several of the people here—but it intimidated me. I was sure the whole world could tell. At least Bracken did.

Are you alright? Bracken asked into my mind.

Guess this isn't quite going to plan, huh? I sent back. Bracken winked at me. Thanks. I'll try not to step on your feet.

Bracken gave a short laugh and shook his head. He was about to say something but I gasped.

"Bracken! Look at that!" I said aloud, breaking from his arm and pointing. We had entered through the front doors and the gym had been transformed. Silvery stuff sparkles pretty much everywhere. Large cutouts of butterflies were placed on the wall and a few hung from the ceiling. The rest of the walls had been planted with stone brick looking wallpaper. We were walking under a red carpet. The gym had been changed into a fantasy-like castle. Or at least a cheesy remake.

I tried to walk forward more but the mass of dress I had on nearly made me die. "I don't know how people move in these things."

"I don't think I ever fully understood that myself. My sisters seem to think the world of them."