The Chapel of the Earth Bull

"'Now go to your guest quarters and cause no trouble'? I could have handled that better."

Walking through the halls of the palace to the Chapel of the Earth Bull, Falco ran a hand through his hair while Kenneth walked on his right side and Frumentius on his left. He could not believe how he had acted towards a visiting dignitary. His father would have been more tactful, not quite so... He wasn't sure if he was rude or blunt. An intelligent person would say blunt, while an unintelligent person would say rude, but the fool thought himself to be wise, while the wise man knew himself to be a fool, so who was the intelligent and who was the unintelligent?

"Honestly, Falco, I think you handled it just as your father did. Stern, no-nonsense, you did perfectly well with that so-called 'Crown Prince of Hyperion." Commented Frumentius.

"You don't think he is actually who he says he is?" Falco inquired.

"Not a chance."

"Yes, indeed..." Falco muttered, as they walked to the Chapel of the Earth Bull. No one had ever heard of Acinonyx and yet he did resemble Leo and Pardus. Could it have been nothing more but a coincidence? Or was he actually the son of Leo and his queen? "Well, perhaps when he tells us the story of his life can we better determine if he is telling the truth or not."

"I still doubt he is." Said Frumentius, giving a smile to a passing girl that he knew.

Stopping in his tracks, Falco looked to his compeer and asked: "Do you think I am making the right decision in telling Taurus that I am in command while my father recovers, Frumentius?"

The Archer stared at his friend the Crown Prince for a moment, a look of uncertainty upon his countenance. Ultimately, he replied: "If you are... Then you are... You might be making yourself a target though, Falco."

"I would say I am a target regardless."

"Good point."

As they arrived at the Chapel of the Earth Bull, Falco peered in, looking in on the sight of two priests, Minos and Sarpedon, playing a game of dice before the statue of their deity. That was odd. Where was Taurus? Where were the other priests? Where were the priestesses? Looking to Frumentius with a raised eyebrow, The Crown Prince found his companion's response to be a shrug. It seemed that Frumentius new nothing of the situation.

Entering the chapel, Falco watched as Minos rolled, saying: "Please, give me a six!" while looking at the statue of his deity.

"Give him a one! A one!" exclaimed Sarpedon, also looking to the statue of the Earth Bull.

Falco was of the belief that deities had better things to do than to aid their clergy in dice games against one another. A god of gambling made more sense, but it was doubtful a deity's priesthood would pray to a god not their own and there was no god of gambling.

Clearing his throat, Falco watched as Minos stood up, the priest's cold blue eyes glaring at him, Frumentius and Kenneth. As the policy of the priesthood of the Earth Bull be that their clergy be of the native populace, Minos was a hairless, olive-skinned man, high cheekbones and almond-shaped blue eyes. He was thirty twelvemonths of age, five feet and seven a half inches in height and athletic in build. There was a scar going across his forehead, the most distinguished mark upon his anatomy. He was wearing a red tunic, a pair of brown sandals and a pair of gold bracelets. His attire was standard for a priest of the Earth Bull.

"Ah, Prince Falco, I was not aware you had returned home. How was the trip?" inquired Minos.

"I was at the dreariest place in all the world." Falco answered, not interested in small talk. "Where is Taurus?"

"He is asleep in his quarters and does not wish to be disturbed." Stated Minos, scratching his chin while his eyes were upon the Royal Ring upon Falco's finger. "That ugly brute sleeps like one who has passed on to the next life. Is there something you want to tell him? Has your father died? Are you the Sun and the Moon now?"

"My father is very much alive." Falco said, looking Minos in the eye even if the priest's eyes were on the Royal Ring. "While my father is ill, I am acting as regent."

"Acting as regent?" Sarpedon laughed, unable to believe it. "A man born under the sign of the caracal, a lesser beast, acting as regent? I don't believe it!"

Ignoring Sarpedon, Minos said: "You may not be regent long, Falco." He looked to Kenneth for a moment, then looked at the floor between him and the Son of Tigris.

"Is that a threat?" Falco asked, fully used to the fact that Minos never maintained eye contact with whom he spoke.

"No, no." Minos turned his gaze to the ceiling, looking to a painted image of the sun above. "People die from illness all the time, my prince. Your time as regent may be short."

"Yes, well, we shall see." Falco said, watching as Minos returned to his game of dice with Sarpedon, before turning and leaving the chapel.