49; BASH!

JUNHAO

Three days have slipped by since that photo went viral, and the tension in our household is palpable. Mom's worry hangs heavy in the air, to the fact that I cannot go home, but amidst it all, I find solace in Mr. Li's support. Knowing he's in our corner breathes a sigh of relief into my worried heart; at least now Mama won't have endless fretting fodder.

"You're heading to school, but steer clear of conversations with your classmates," Mr. Li's voice cuts through the morning haze, his concern etched into every word. "Brush off the negativity..."

"I understand, sir," Zhubao's response is soft, barely more than a whisper.

I simply nod in agreement.

"Stick close to your friends, your fellow members— don't give me reason to worry again, especially you, Zhubao. Remember, you're more than just a girl..."

"Yes, sir," Zhubao's smile is small but genuine. "Thank you for looking out for us..."

"Of course, within these walls, I'm your guardian," Mr. Li's tone softens, a fatherly warmth seeping through. "You'll get used to it because I'll always have your backs." With a reassuring smile, he dismisses us. "Off you go and take care."

"Thank you, sir," we murmur in unison, bowing respectfully before stepping out into the world beyond the sanctuary of TF Entertainment.

"Mask up; we don't want any unwanted attention," Guanyu's reminder is a necessary precaution as we make our way through the glass doors. "Stay close; we've arranged a barrier to shield you from prying eyes."

As we navigate the sea of faces, Zhubao's head droops low, and I instinctively pull her hood over her head for added protection. But despite our efforts, the crowd soon closes in, blocking our path.

"Get out of our way, what do you think you're doing?" Zhixin's voice cuts through the cacophony, his frustration evident as he pushes back against the throng of sisheng. "Leave us alone!"

"Stop this!" Yuhan shouted.

Shielding Zhubao's face, I guide her forward, but the crowd's taunts and jeers pierce through the chaos.

"Flirt! Zhin Zhubao is a flirt!"

"Show your face, coward! Don't be shy; we want to see the snake's face!"

"Are you ashamed now that we know your true colors?"

Despite the onslaught of hatred, Zhubao remains composed until a groan of pain wrenches through the air, and she stumbles, clutching her leg.

"What happened?" Hang's concern is palpable as we finally retreat into the safety of the van. My hand finds Zhubao's leg, and as I pull away, I'm met with the sight of blood staining my fingertips.

"She tried to grab me," Zhubao's voice quivers with pain, "Her nails dug into my flesh..."

In moments, we're rushing to the hospital, where Zhubao receives treatment for the wound inflicted upon her, we knew it was just a scratch, but she could get tetanus. As Hang comforts her, I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy, wishing it were me in his place, able to offer her solace and support. 

Back at school, the whispers and stares of my classmates fade into insignificance as Miss calls me into her office.

"I'm aware of what's been happening," she begins, her gaze kind but firm. "But, Zhang Junhao, you need to focus. Exams are looming, and your mind can't afford to be elsewhere."

"I'm sorry, Miss," my apology is genuine, tinged with a hint of resignation.

"Leave the negativity behind; I believe in you," her smile is encouraging, a beacon of hope amidst the storm. "You can do this."