26- Home

Snowflakes glittered like frozen stars under the white light of Bertrand's dragons. The gentle twinkling of the harp sprinkled through the air while the slow whines of the violin gave the pixies a melody for their dance through the ever falling snowflakes. From behind the dressing tent curtains, Leanna watched them weave in and out through the snow, marking the tent sky with a magical waltz of light and forgiveness.

Lowering her sights, she slid her gaze along the chattering audience. Mesmerized by the display of lights, they sat waiting for the night's performance, unknowing of all that had happened earlier in the day. No traces of death and metal remained, the scent of smoke and death replaced by the freshness of the twirling snow.

Leanna let the curtain close and turned back to the gathered troupe that lined up as if a curse still bound them to the canvas. Forgiveness had come; the proof of it dusted the ground and fell continuously over the circus. Yet they all remained willingly for one last show—one final performance and then the snows would lead them home.

Leanna's emotions dampened. Gleeful chatter of returning to Forever had dominated all talk from the moment she'd stepped from her tent to see the field clouded in white and the performers spinning like children amongst the falling snow. The talk was no different now as she made her way down the troupe. Many spoke wistfully of their mother's cooking, or their spouses' smiles, of who they would see first, of the many places they would go... and of how they would never forget one another.

While Leanna understood their joy, a slight of sadness found a home in her soul as she reached her spot at the end of the line. She wanted more than anything to go to Forever, where things would be different. Yes, that had been her choice, yet, it became evident very quickly that while the circus' fate had rested in her hands, they were all free now... free to go their separate ways, to their homes and their families. After that night's performance, Finvarra's Circus would be no more.

Leanna pressed a trembling hand to her core. She was supposed to be gaining things. Why did it feel like she was losing things, too?

"Your cheeks match your dress," Kioyo whispered in her ear, coming up alongside her while ruffling the red feathers of her dance dress. The snow dampened his hair and black strands clung to his forehead. "Nervous?" he asked her, golden eyes gleaming under the white fire and glittering snow.

Leanna shrugged weakly, giving him her most stable smile. Brushing the damp strands away from his face, the knot at her stomach tightened and her smile bowed to a frown. Of all the things she was set to lose, it was this gentle soul beneath her fingers that rivaled whatever joy she'd gained that day.

"You will do fine," Kioyo rallied mistakenly, gripping her shoulders and shaking her gently with each word. "You accomplished what you set out to do for our best. We have been forgiven. Now it is time for you to dance for you."

"And for you," she admitted quietly. "I owe you this dance."

Kioyo cocked his head, brows furrowed. "For me?"