13- Forgiveness

Leanna let out a breath, finally free from Krinard's gaze as he turned narrowed eyes to an approaching Finvarra

Leanna let out a breath, finally free from Krinard's gaze as he turned narrowed eyes to an approaching Finvarra. His nostrils flared as if the invading scent of vanilla bleeding through the paraffin sickened him.

"So now you show your face," he hissed in disgust. "Where were you when Inara was taken?"

Reaching them, Finvarra gazed at the gathered group. His lips drew to a tight line. Leanna moistened her lips at the sight. With painful clarity she recalled how warm his eyes had been when staring into hers as he drew closer, intentions of a kiss from those lips warming the air between them...

Now, there was just ice and indifference. Leanna lowered her lashes and rubbed her upper arms against a shiver that sprouted goose bumps down her skin.

"Tomas tracked hoofmarks leading out past the tent, beyond the crystals," Finvarra revealed carefully. "They were Inara's tracks alone, and so I have no reason to believe she was taken. Rather, she has gone willingly."

"Rubbish! She of all would not leave the safety of the crystals, knowing of the dangers. It was her doing!" Krinard stabbed a threatening finger toward Leanna. "First she drove away Inara's magic and now she has driven her away to her death. Even you cannot be so blind as to not see this! She is supposed to be the death of you, but she schemes to be the death of us all! "

There was meaning in his words, but Leanna was as exhausted as she was frustrated, and could not decipher them. Not there. Not then. Not when confusion from the prior night hurt her soul. When dancing from the previous practice hurt her body. When Krinard's accusations hurt most of all, as only the truth could. Under the pressure of Krinard's anger, of Finvarra's indifference... under guilt of Inara's disappearance, an exasperated Leanna stepped out from behind Kioyo. She braved Krinard's wrath with ire of her own. She'd stood up to her Papa, and Mr. Weston owned many horses. She would not remain silent and falter to this centaur.

"You say fear drives out magic, but what of pride? You did this!" She speared a finger toward him. Hers did not tremble. "You and your boorish conceit led her away. And her magic? You're guilty of that as well! Your anger for Finvarra is stifling it, dousing it, and it is because of that that she has fled! Yes, I was there last night," Leanna turned the finger to her own heart. "I comforted her; I let her pour out her soul to me with no judgment—with no fear. A fear she feels because of you. And yes, perhaps I could have chosen my words more wisely, but it changes nothing."

Kioyo put a hand on her arm. Leanna jerked away, anger pushing the words from her mouth. "She was tired and couldn't bear to stand, much less ride. These crystals imprisoned her, while your anger was poisoning her. So I told her to ride for herself in spite of you." Leanna turned her gaze and stared fiercely into Finvarra's icy pools. "In spite of you both." This time, Leanna did not lower her eyes. She slid them evenly between Finvarra and Krinard, lastly fixing on Krinard's black pits, grinding her words into his mind with her stare.