Chapter 4

'So... tired... Why did I wake up? It's so early... I wanna... go back to... to sleep' I was slowly drifting off back to sleep when I suddenly heard the echoing sound of a droplet hitting water nearby, completely disturbing the silence, making me jolt up

'Eek! What was that!? Wait no! *Whining* Now I can't go back to sleep... now I'm fully awake... *Whining* I just wanted to sleep...'

I then heard the same sound as before again

'Huh? That sound, it sounds like, water? But, there wasn't any water in the cave. When I walked around, I didn't find any water at all! And that sound is coming from deeper in, maybe there's a leak? What? No! What am I saying? That can't be it! There's no way water could get through the cave's ceiling... Hmm but what could it be then? That's it! I'm finding out the answer'

I followed the sound and it lead me to a bunch of crystals covering the ceiling, they didn't look like the rainbow crystals from before, instead they were white, pure white crystals that were melting

'They're melting? The crystals are melting!? Wait, crystals can MELT!? And they're not even melting into water! It's melting into a liquid that's the same colour as it. What even is it melting into? Wait! I got an idea! System what are these white crystals?'

[Crystal Type: Unknown]

'Okay then, what about this, what are the crystals melting into?'

[Substance Unknown. Warning! Substance could be toxic or lethal in some way, caution is advised!

'Possibly toxic? So stay away from it? Got it. Next, why are they melting?'

[Answer: The temperature, pressure and air density surrounding them seem to be the cause. These crystals also appear to have a low tolerance for heat]

'Okaay, I'm just gonna pretend like I comprehended all that. But I think I understood the important parts. White crystals don't like heat, or air pressure, so they have a meltdown in the presence of either of them, and they're possibly toxic as well, got it. They must really struggle to socialize, like me! Except I don't get meltdowns, I get crippling anxiety!'

I then realised something strange

'Wait? White crystals? There weren't any white crystals in the cave when I explored it, only the rainbow ones! So where did these come from? Hmm, unless, I just completely missed them? Thinking about crystals, I should get back to that pretty one! I never finished inspecting it, it's different from the rest, so it must be special!'

I head back to where I remember the crystal was, but when I got there I searched around for what felt like ages, but I couldn't find it, at all

'What? Where is it? It was right here! Where'd it go? How did I lose a brightly glowing purple crystal!? The only one that wasn't on the ceiling! It must be around here somewhere!'

I started to frantically search for it

'No no no! Where's my SHINY!? Wait shiny? Why does that matter? Actually, why do I even care that it's shiny? Why did I even say that anyway? Ugh, what's wrong with me... wait a minute, speaking of which, I just realized something! Well multiple things actually, but anyway! I haven't thought about my last life at all! Until right now that is. I've just gotten so used to this new life, to this new world, as if I was born here from the start. And I've adapted so quickly to this new body. I mean that's a good thing but, it's just... it's barely been a week since I arrived in this world and I'm already entirely- errr mostly, adapted to being a fox or whatever I am exactly. Actually, has it even been a week? I can't tell'