The Power Within

José flinched and closed his eyes tightly as a powerful gust of wind blew so strongly that it nearly threatened to knock him over. When the wind died down slightly José opened his eyes ever so slightly to see how his companions were doing.

Donald had curled slightly in on himself, both of his hands gripped tightly on his hat to keep it on his head. José had long since lost his own hat to the wind, and when he saw Panchito ducking on the ground, his arms thrown over his head he knew that the rooster's sombrero was lost as well.

"Are you alright, my friends?" José asked in a raised voice. For a moment he was worried that the wind, which, even if it wasn't as hindering as before, was still unnaturally powerful, had covered his words. He was relieved when both Donald and Panchito raised their heads to look at him.

"I'm good." Panchito said, though he made no attempt to get up from where he knelt. José wondered if it was because he was hurt, or if he just didn't want to bother getting up again when they all knew that another gust of wind even stronger than the last would just knock him off his feet again.

"I'll be fine once all of this is over." Donald scowled as he glared towards the source of the wind. The powerful gusts made it difficult to look towards the source without their eyes getting watery, but even without looking they all knew what was causing all of the wind. Their old enemy, Sheldgoose, may not be as formidable without Felldrake's staff, but they should have known better than to underestimate him. Sheldgoose had gone and found himself a magical pendant that gave him the power to manipulate wind, and he was just using it to toy with them.

José knew they weren't in any danger at that moment, but he didn't want to give Sheldgoose time to change that. "Does anybody have any ideas on how to stop him?" They couldn't even get near Sheldgoose. His wind kept them at bay.

Xandra growled in irritation. "We just have to keep trying." Even Xandra wasn't immune to the wind. The goddess' hair was being blown in all directions, particularly in her face. Xandra ignored all of this and summoned bow. She nocked an arrow and shot it straight towards Sheldgoose. Despite the wind, the magical arrow flew straight, at least, at first. Just before the arrow hit Sheldgoose it seemed to be knocked away by an invisible force and harmlessly hit the ground instead.

José knew that the wind had done that. Sheldgoose was getting better at controlling the element. It was only a matter of time before he either realized that he was barely tapping in to the pendant's magical potential, or he lost all control of the magic, in which case they would all be in huge trouble.

Sheldgoose was messing with forces that he didn't understand. He wasn't just wielding a mythical item with powers, like he probably believed. No, José could feel the magical strength from the pendant. The object was a source of incredible power, and José knew from the way that his own magic seemed to flare up in response that it was specifically white magic.

White magic wasn't like black magic. It drew power from the natural world. Control over elements, the ability to give or take energy, these were things that white magic could do. While those with black magic had to be born with the abilities, theoretically, anybody could have white magic. It was just a matter of tapping into the powers of the world around them.

What many people, even those who regularly used white magic, failed to recognize was that the use of white magic did not equal the control of it. Those with black magic either controlled or were controlled by their powers. Those with white magic were either allowed to use it, or they weren't. The forces of white magic couldn't, and shouldn't, be controlled, and one would have to be a fool to even try.

But then, Sheldgoose had never demonstrated that he was the sharpest tool in the shed.

"You think you can stop me?" Sheldgoose laughed insanely, like he had lost his entire grip on reality, though José wasn't sure if he had ever had a grip on it in the first place. "I have all the power here."