Chapter 6

They were late to return.

Jeiura had been no further than the southern rainforest tribes, and Altlos to the northern coastals. Jei should have been back by evening, and Altlos by nightfall.

Yet High Nest was still and hushed in their continued absence. A nudging of my mentors was met only with the shakes of a head or switch of subject. Either they did not know, or something was awry.

So, perhaps, my heavy breath of relief was expected when Jei nimbly stepped into my quarters. A breath she clearly wasn't expecting, giving the terribly late hour. Not that she hadn't expected me awake, as owl-kin usually kept to the night hours.

"Are you feeling unwell?"

"Not particularly. You've been gone longer than expected... I began to worry."

"Oh, I suppose we have."

It's very like her to be so passively ambiguous. Jei has always held a playful and curious nature, though her maturity shines through every second of it. No matter what the subject, her occasional dismissiveness never comes across as anything but endearing.

"Did something happen?"

"Oh, a lot. The, ah... the Wyrm is back. Northernmost coastal village. Altlos rushed back with the Seers, but it was handled before I arrived."

The room seems abruptly colder just at the mention of it. My heart stutters briefly, a flash of the memory of dulled eyes and limp wings. That creature brings only death... I find no comfort in knowing it has returned, nor that either of them were so close to it.

"Where is Altlos?"

"The infirmary, or soon to be. I rushed ahead."

What.

I push myself up to stand, Jei swiftly striding over to steady me with a gentle smile.

"He's not injured. He's been... preoccupied. Come with me."

"To where?"

"We found something in the aftermath of the Wyrm. We've disagreed on showing you, but Altlos isn't here to stop me."

Stop her? My mind flickers to the moment I let go of the body of my pair into the Wyrm's chasm. There is nothing the Wyrm touches that could ever bring me joy, and yet she seems so... animated.

Enough so that I begin to walk.

It takes us some time to get to the open entrance to the infirmary. My wings lack the strength for any prolonged flight, so much of the journey is on foot. Jei stays with me the entire way, letting me lean into her when necessary. I try not to. She's much smaller than I.

When we arrive, there's a bit of a fuss already present at the entrance. Mostly of Seers returning, but it's not hard to spot Altlos by the edge. He's in a protective position by someone slightly smaller, wrapped tightly in blankets. A hammock I don't recognize is nearby, one Seer trying their best to fold it up out of the way. My presence here only seems to add to the commotion, but it becomes very obvious that something serious is going on. Seers from the delegation that went with Altlos are shooing away others, even the healers. Keeping everyone at a distance to quiet the area. There are murmurs in the air. Some of the attack, some also mentioning the discovery of a nest-stealer and a displaced male harpy. Most, however, display a level of confusion over what's going on. So much agitation in the air... rare for the domain of Seers.

In my distractedness of what's going on around me, I spot two familiar figures, both clad in their dark robes that set them apart from the white crowd. Frey and Votur... seemingly in a hurry.