eight. not-so-sweet dreams

-CHAPTER EIGHT-
~not-so-sweet dreams~

AFTER A ROUGH NIGHT of death plagued dreams with scared little kids wavering in and out, Viola was not at all refreshed when she woke up the next morning

AFTER A ROUGH NIGHT of death plagued dreams with scared little kids wavering in and out, Viola was not at all refreshed when she woke up the next morning. Hermione was already awake, sitting on the edge of her bed and fixing her tie, the other girls finally beginning to rise too.

Viola lifted her arms up in a stretch before rubbing at her eyes— as if that might rid herself of the tiredness she was feeling. The cool air from the dorm hit her once she pulled back the duvet, and she gathered her uniform from the foot of the bed before making her way to the bathroom where she got ready.

She sat on the chilly tile floor of the bathroom as she tugged on her tights. She was dreading going down to breakfast— the train had been bad enough, even with its confined compartments and sheltering doors, and the feast last night had brought with it the usual chattering excitement of a new year, taking at least some of the attention off of Viola and Harry.

But breakfast in the Great Hall? That was asking to be whispered about, glanced at through accusatory eyes.

Even with all of last year, being one of the centres of attention from having to compete in the tournament, she still hadn't grown used to it. While Harry had become accustomed to shrugging off the gazes and ignoring comments— or, at least, was better at feigning unbotheredness than her— Viola was still having difficulty not snapping at any criminating, lingering looks. And with eyes watching from all over, it was extra pressure not to crack; Everyone already seemed to think she was crazy, and she was not giving them a real reason to.

When she got back to the dorm and began putting her pyjamas back in her trunk, Hermione said, "I wonder what our timetables will be like this year."

"As long as History of Magic isn't first thing," said Viola. "I might actually fall asleep, and I've got to start taking notes this year."

"Glad someone else will be," said Hermione. "Ron and Harry always quit paying attention and expect me to give them all of mine."

"Reckon I might start asking next week. I always zone out and get lost,  so notes never make sense." Viola grinned lazily, stifling a yawn. "Your badge looks good, by the way."

"Oh," said Hermione, smiling and raising a hand to touch her prefect's badge, "thank you! Anyway, we should probably get down to breakfast and get the timetables."

"Good idea," said Viola, sighing heavily and grabbing her robe from her bed. She heard a snicker from the other side of the room as she tugged it on, and was met with Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil shooting her furtive looks, hands pressed to their mouths.