eight. a strange turn of events

-CHAPTER EIGHT-
~a strange turn of events~

THERE WAS A HUGE buzz of excitement in the air on the day of the thirtieth of October

THERE WAS A HUGE buzz of excitement in the air on the day of the thirtieth of October. Time seemed to slow down for every Hogwarts student as they impatiently waited for their classes to be finished so they could watch Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrive.

When the bell finally rang and the highly anticipated moment had come, everyone got up as quickly as they could and bolted to their Common Rooms to drop off their stuff before hurrying to the entrance hall.

The Heads of Houses were all trying to order their students into lines, but they weren't having much luck.

"Finnigan, fix your tie!" barked McGonagall. "Creevey, stop trying to push through!"

It took a while, but everyone had been led down the steps to the front of the castle. Viola glanced to her right and noticed a vacant spot next to Dean and Seamus that she could easily slide into, but she decided against it. Even though they always seemed friendly to her, she was worried that she had been forcing herself upon them too much recently. Not wanting to be annoying, she stayed in her spot.

Neville Longbottom was beside her, turning his head in every direction as though the students from the other two schools were about to appear out of thin air. Then again, she reminded herself, maybe they would.

Down the line to her left, Viola spotted Harry, Ron and Hermione having a light-hearted conversation, though their eyes were trained on different spots of the grounds, just like the other students, as they awaited the arrival of the guests.

Viola's eyes trained on Ron for a moment; he still seemed to be a little weary of her, though he had been considerable less cold in the Divination lesson where they had tried to outdo each other with their predictions. But, still, it's not like they were exactly friends, either.

Harry and Hermione had been less cold, though she couldn't say she was friends with them either. Her conversations with Harry were limited to some sarcastic remarks in Divination and some small talk with Hermione in their dormitory—though Hermione had asked Viola to join S.P.E.W, an organisation that she had created herself. Hermione had looked in a bad enough mood already that Viola agreed and handed over two Sickles.

"Hi, Neville," Viola said averting her gaze to the boy beside her and smiling at him.

"Oh, er—h-hi, Viola," he stammered, nervously fidgeting with the sleeve of his robe.

"So, are you excited for the tournament?" she asked. He wouldn't look at her; he kept glancing around the grounds, waiting for a sign of the other schools.