Chapter 7

Lydia hated to admit when her friends were right. By the end of downing all of the shots Evie had gotten them, she was drunk. So drunk, Audrey had to walk her to the door of her house. Her friend was about to knock on the door, seeing as in Lydia’s attempts to sneak out of the house, she had forgotten her keys.

Before Audrey’s knuckles grazed the wooden door, Lydia let out a gasp and grabbed her hand. “No! I need to go through the window.”

Audrey stared at her, like a mother about to scold her child. “You can barely stand on two feet, I doubt you could climb through a window.”

“I-” Lydia began, standing up straight to prove to her friend she was well enough to stand on two feet, and thus, be able to climb through a window. But she stopped when her door swung open, Xander greeting her with a very pissed-off expression.

Audrey looked at the bodyguard sympathetically before she handed Lydia off to him. “If it makes you feel better, it was Evie’s idea to sneak her out.”

“It doesn’t,” he responded, his jaw clenched tight. Audrey looked to her friend and mouthed, good luck before she got into her car. His eyes focused on Lydia. “Do you have any idea how worried I’ve been? What if something happened? What would I say to Kelly?”

Lydia swayed a little bit and rolled her eyes. “Kelly wouldn’t care, she would just get the company quicker. And you only care because you’re paid to.”

Xander gripped Lydia’s elbow to keep her steady as she entered the house. “How much did you have to drink?”

Lydia tried to remember, but she couldn’t for the life of her recall the exact amount, only that, at one point, Jaxon actually refused to serve any of the girls at the table except Audrey. Lydia shrugged. “Enough for Jaxon to stop letting us have anymore.”

Xander snapped his head downward to look at her. “Who is Jaxon?”

Lydia pulled away from him as she entered her room, she wanted to have a bath. She reeked of alcohol and she wanted to feel clean. She stumbled to her closet and pulled out an oversized t-shirt and some underwear. Not looking at Xander as she entered her ensuite bathroom, she replied, “Evie’s friend slash bartender.”

Xander followed her into the bathroom as she filled the tub with warm water and most of the bottle of her mango bubble bath blend. He crossed his arms as he watched her. “Why wouldn’t you tell me you were leaving tonight? I would have gone with you and kept my distance so you could have fun.”

Lydia looked at him, her eyebrow arched. “Why would I tell you? You don’t even know what fun is. Every time I try to relax or get to know you or try to be your friend, you shut me down. Forgive me if I assumed you wouldn’t approve of me going out with my friends for some drinks.”

Xander’s typically expressionless face dropped, flashing with one of annoyance. “I’m not here to be your friend, I am here to protect you.”

“Yeah, yeah. I know,” Lydia waved him off. “I get it, if you had it your way you wouldn’t be here at all. Trust me, you’ve made that very clear. I’m sorry you’re stuck with a boring assignment such as me. I bet you would rather guard a celebrity or a politician but no, you’re stuck with a boring baker.” Tears swelled to Lydia’s eyes. All of the frustration and anger she had felt for the past month overwhelmed her. “These past few weeks have been the worst of my life. My mother died, I may have not known her well, but she was still my mother. And all the feelings I felt when my father died have resurfaced and it feels like I’m mourning his death all over again too. I’m stuck with a company I don’t want, with a sister who hates me for even existing, I hardly have time for my own business. It’s too much and you’re not making it any easier.”

Xander dropped his gaze. He looked down at the tub that was on the brink of overflowing with bubbles and water and slammed the tap down to stop the water from running. He looked back up at Lydia, his face a mix of remorse and regret. “I’m sorry,” he said quietly before he turned on his heel and left Lydia alone with her bubble bath.

Lydia removed her clothes and sunk into the bath, viciously scrubbing away the smell of alcohol. She had been so lost in her scrubbing, she didn’t realize her skin was turning as red as a lobster until she scratched her arm slightly with her wash cloth. She dropped the cloth into the water and arched her head back, leaning against the tub.

What she said wasn’t fair to Xander. He had been kind to her this afternoon when they had baked. He seemed like the type of person who didn’t let people in, but when he did, he let them in completely. Maybe, he and Lydia would have had a better relationship, a friendship even, if she hadn’t snuck out and then yelled at him when she returned. She dunked her head in the water once and when she resurfaced, she got out of the tub, drying herself off, putting on her underwear and oversized t-shirt.

She padded out of the bathroom, out of her room, and into the living room where Xander sat on the couch. Silently, she sat on the single seat sofa and joined him as he watched the hockey game. She could feel his gaze on her but she ignored it, not wanting to talk, not wanting to argue, just simply wanting company because she did not want to be alone and deep down, she suspected that was what Xander wanted too.