Oath | CH 5

Rue and Zeno sit around the fire as the others sleep

Rue and Zeno sit around the fire as the others sleep. Yona and Yun in the tent as usual while the others were sleeping as well.

"Can I ask you something Vere– I mean, Rue?" Zeno suddenly spoke up, his voice hushed.

"Yeah go on."

"Do you ever regret what you did back the-"

"Zeno." She stopped him.

"I apologise. That was out of context." Zeno said with a soft smile.

"No, I don't regret it Zeno." She spoke after a moment of pause. "We both know that back then that was the only choice. Only way out."

"You were the only one who sacrificed though. You went through it alone even though we wanted to help you."

"Zeno, did you forget?" She looked at him with a smile. A real smile.

"While you are the shield of the Red Dragon, I am the shield of the dragons. The only Red Dragon whom I have, had, sworn my loyalties as Hiryuu. No one else." She finished.

"Then Yona-" Zeno paused in realization.

"Yes, you finally understood. I have not sworn allegiance to her. And I never will to anyone else. My loyalty lies with you and the dragons of the myth. No one else will ever be worthy of it. Not even this girl, whom you call Yona, the rebirthed Hiryuu."

"Hiryuu has long left us Zeno, it's merely his blood and spirit that flows with her. His soul and heart have long left."

Rue said with a grim smile as she crushed the flower that was in her hands.

"You've changed." Zeno said as she finished.

"It was the only thing I could do after I lost everyone and everything." Her eyes looked into his blue ones, as Zeno felt his heart pain at the dullness in her eyes.

"I wish to go back. I wish to go back home Zeno." She said as she wrapped her arms around one of his hands and leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I understand it all too well." He said as he placed a hand upon her own.

They were the only ones left in this wretched world. Two mortals who now carried a curse to live forever. Their home, their family gone as they only have each other to hold now.

One knew not that this curse was upon him.

One took this curse upon herself willingly.