Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“What’s the catch?” I ask, not buying that this could be so simple.

“No catch,” he assures me, “Like I said, I just need you to complete one last assignment for me.  It’s a tough one, but very important.  If I sent a demon to do it, I could only pray that they succeed.”  He shakes his head, laughing, “and that will never happen.”  He looks back to me.  “So, what do you think?”  I study his features for any sign of this just being some crappy practical joke, but he seems sincere enough.

“No,” I finally answer after a moment of silence.  Mammon tilts his head in surprise.

“No?” he repeats, as if he didn’t quite hear me.  I shake my head in reply.

“I’ve been around long enough to know better than to make a deal with a devil,” I tell him, “Especially when he’s my older brother,” I add, turning to walk out to get back to my room and continue my rest.  As my fingers wrap around the door handle, Mammon loudly clears his throat, signaling that he’s not finished talking.

“Well in that case,” he starts, causing me to turn back around, “In that case, you are still under my employment, so you will still do this assignment whether you like it or not,” he smiles.  My grip tightens and I feel my anger ready to boil over as I jerk the door open, slamming it shut before stomping back towards my room.  “I’ll send you the details!” Mammon shouts through the door, amusement tangled into his words like a hidden venom. 

Upon entering my room, I find myself disappointed that Dalitha isn’t here.  I could definitely use someone to talk to right now, and she has always been kind of a mother-like figure to me.  Then again, I never really had a mother, so my knowledge of them consists of what I’ve seen on Earth.

In an attempt to calm myself down, I crouch down to look under my bed, blindly pulling out a small book from the nice sized collection I keep.  I look at the title to see Shakespeare’s Macbeth and smile.  Many of the characters in Shakespeare’s works have so much sin; I almost wish they were actual people.  It would be interesting to actually meet some of them down here.

I’m only just finishing the second scene when I hear the rustling of paper being pushed under my bedroom door.  That must be the assignment details, I think, getting up to read through them.  My eyes freeze at the first line.

Lilith,

When you finish reading this letter, you will meet your partner outside of the castle.

Partner?  I thought he didn’t trust anyone but me with this task.  I continue reading the letter, committing the details to memory before getting ready to go.  I put on my black leather jacket and my hunting boots, made from the hellfire itself.  I remember to grab my instrument, a jagged golden knife before walking to the castle doors.  I could’ve just materialized outside, but I honestly wanted to prolong this mission as much as possible.  Once I get outside, I look around for the demon I’m supposed to be partnered with.  There’s a slight creaking noise behind me and I turn around to face who I presume is my partner.

“Damn,” I swear, upon seeing who it is.

“What?  You aren’t happy to see me Lilith?” Vespas remarks sarcastically.  Yes, Vespas.  The lesser demon Mammon scythed straight through the torso earlier today.  That’s the thing about demons; they don’t stay dead for very long once you kill them and will eventually come back.  Also, they always come back stronger than before, and apparently in Vespas’ case, cockier than before.

“Oh, I’m absolutely thrilled,” I sarcastically reply as I try to think of what could have possessed Mammon to partner me with this sad excuse for a demon, and when I say possessed, I mean it.  I will literally exercise Mammon if that’s what it takes to fix whatever is going on in his non-existent brain.