Ray?

Hey everyone! Thank you all for your patience and support for this book. I will be continuing this fanfic! 

Remember, when something is italicized it is a thought, and when something is in quotations it is said aloud. 

This chapter happens a couple weeks after the first chapter, just wanted to let you all know about the tiny time-skip.

Below is the first official chapter in a long while. Enjoy!

Ray's POV

I jolt awake in a cold sweat, panting for breath. I looked outside the mouth of the cave where all the kids were sleeping and saw the sun only just beginning to rise above the horizon. I sigh softly to myself; it was just another nightmare. Standing up quietly, as to not wake the other children, I tread lightly to the cave entrance and lean against the cool stone. I've been getting these nightmares a lot more often lately, and I'm mostly used to them by now, but something is bothering me about this last one. Usually, I can remember my nightmares quite vividly, and easily recall them. Yet, I can't remember last nights dream. At all.

It's leaving me with a grim sense of foreboding. 

I walk over to a dark corner in the cave and throw on my cloak and bone mask. 

I'll just go out on patrol before the others wake up. 

I walk about a mile out from the cave and into the surrounding woods before I bring my hand to my mouth and give a loud whistle. After a moment, I hear booming steps getting closer to me until I see the familiar fur of my black wolf, Luka. I found him awhile back when I was on patrol by myself. He was injured, and too weak to find food for himself, so I helped him. He's been loyal to me ever since, always answering my calls for him and checking up on me. He's bigger than the average wolf. In fact, he could probably carry up to fifteen of the orphans from Grace Field House on his back at once. I suspect he is an indirect product of the demons, but he is not loyal to them. He'll actually kill demons willingly if it's to protect me. I found a very devoted companion. I haven't told anyone yet, as it is still pretty new, and I don't want Luka to be overwhelmed by the amount of kids we have with us. I plan on slowly introducing him to more and more people, that way he won't be a danger to any of the kids if he lashes out. I'm not worried about myself; I made a promise to Emma that I will protect her and the others, and that I won't let Norman's sacrifice be in vain. Besides, if all else fails, I still have THAT. 

Luka pads up to me and nuzzles his head against mine. I exhale a breath and lift my right hand to card my fingers through his fur. 

Suddenly, Luka lifts his head and his ears start flicking anxiously. I look up at him and narrow my eyes, placing a hand on his shoulder. 

"Luka, what's wrong?"

A loud, piercing scream echoes through the woods from the direction of the cave. My eyes widen in dawning horror, "the kids!"

I throw myself onto Luka's back and dig my hands into his fur. "Go, Luka!" I order. Not a minute later we are racing through the trees towards the cave. 

Hang on, Norman, Emma, everyone. I'm coming. 

Norman's POV

I wake up to the sun shining and the sound of chirping birds, but no Ray. I look at the empty sleeping bag next to me and sigh. I can tell he's been getting less sleep lately, and he's been disappearing more and more before anyone wakes up. He's having nightmares, but I don't know why. Something that happened at Grace Field House maybe? Or...something he's not telling us. I sigh.