1| there he was

I gripped the bouquet in my hands so hard my knuckles started to poke through the skin. Through the thin veil of ivy and wisteria the guests lounged on satin-covered chairs, starting idle conversations between themselves. I felt a presence move to stand behind me, and forced a smile upon my face.

"I'm glad you could make it." I say, as the woman grasped my hands in hers.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world." Her voice was honey-sweet, different from the harsh tone of my fiancées guests. It was a welcome reminder of home. "And I brought him, just like you asked."

She spun on her heels, calling out to a nearby footman in Spanish. He nodded, and stepped out of the room. In a few heartbeats he was back, with a small canine in his arms.

"Oh, Bruce!" I rushed forwards to cradle the him in my arms. "Thank you, Pri."

Pricilla waved her arms nonchalantly. "No biggie. But this dress though." She studied the sequin studded gown enviously. "It's almost enough to forget he's the reason you'll be walking down that isle alone."

I felt my fake smile slip off my face, replaced with a malicious grin. "By the end of this day, I'll be buying you twenty of these dresses." I place Bruce on the floor, and turn back to the procession. The scent of lilies and freesia from nearby flower arrangements made my head hurt, making me feel trapped like a leaf in a stream.

The footman stepped forwards. "My lady, the groom is ready when you are."

I turn to Pricilla, and she shoots me an apologetic look before being ushered into her seat. I watch as she turns to the slightly smaller woman sitting next to her, who then turns around so violently her hair hits the man behind her.

"Cynthia!" She yelled, waving her hands above her head manically. "I've got the best seat in the house!"

The guests on the left of the room started gossiping, not disguising their disgust at her sudden outburst. The fiery woman was unaffected by their ice-filled words, only turning when Pricilla forcibly sat her down again. I felt a rush of affection for the girls. Not only had they flown from Madrid to be at my wedding, but they were also going to be staying in California for a while. Until, at least, the bank accounts were drained for every last penny under the Rivera name.

A silence descended over the crowd, as one of the men at the end of the aisle raised his hand. I finally let myself study the man I would be marrying.

From this distance, his dirty-blonde hair seemed to shine with a golden hue, and his pale face was gently brushed with freckles. He wore a white shirt that hung loosely from his chest, and a black suit. I narrow my eyes as Pricilla turns to wink at me.

Without warning, the music starts up, and I almost jump out of my skin. The beat of the wedding march seemed to rattle my chest uncontrollably, and I have to take a deep breath to keep myself calm. Exhaling, I open my eyes, and step out onto  the flower strewn aisle.

There he was. The man I was engaged to marry, watching me with eyes that seemed to bore into my very soul. In the moment our eyes met, a fire spread through my chest. This man, the man I would spend the rest of my life with.

The man that murdered my entire fucking family.