Polly's Friend

It had been six months since the Shelby boys and the soldiers of Small Heath had returned. In their return, Polly had gained her nephews but lost a dear friend.

Rose had left the very day the boys had arrived home. She had a family of her own and brothers to welcome back after years at war. Rose left, as many a dutiful woman did, to tend to her family but she hadn't left forever.

Not more than two weeks ago, Polly had received one of many letters from the friend that was more like family and this one carried the positive news of Rose's return to Birmingham.

Today was the day. A Sunday of course; Rose was a superstitious individual who believed ending a journey on a Sunday was good luck. It was only to be expected with her gypsy blood. And so, they had arranged to meet at the church that very day.

Polly went to the church every week, to light candles in memory of those who would never return but also to maintain a sense of normalcy in the tumultuous life she lived.

Yet this Sunday wasn't going to plan. Her usual routine disrupted by the new inspector, Mr Campbell. An abhorrent man who was living up to her negative assumptions of him by standing far too close to be appropriate to her.

Unfortunately for him, it was during this confrontation that Rose arrived. Now Rose was one of the kindest souls Polly had ever met but she was also one of the most protective individuals.

When Rose saw Mr Campbell, she was not happy. She was like a bull seeing red and nothing nor no one could have stopped the attack she launched upon the unsuspecting inspector.

Reminiscent of a wildcat, she launched herself at the policeman, " Get the fuck away from her, who the fuck do you think you lot are?"

This had not gone down well.

In fact, it'd gone down as assault of an officer which was why Polly's normally docile friend was sat in a jail awaiting bail.

As far as first impressions go, this was not how Polly had planned on introducing Rose to the family but now she needed Tommy's assistance.

...

"Let me get this right, you want ME to go bail out some friend of yours that I've never met."

As predicted, Tommy was not taking the news well.

"Look Tommy, this girl is like a daughter to me and it's not like legality has ever been an issue before."

He sighed, knowing better than to argue with his aunt when she was on a warpath.

"Alright Pol, if you say she's family then I'll bail her out" Tommy acquiesced "But are you sure you can trust someone who returns from the blue and gets in trouble with the police so easily?"

Polly scoffed, it seemed that for all his intelligence, Tommy was still lacking in sense.

"That woman became family whilst you boys were away at war and that won't be changing just because you returned," she told him, "She left but now she's back and I want it known that she's under the protection of the Peaky Blinders."

Tommy, for once living up to his reputation of smarts, knew when to shut up. If there was something suspicious about this woman then he'd make it his business to find it.

First and foremost, he protected his family. It would take time before he accepted anyone new into the fold.