Catching up

As promised, Rose walked herself over to Watery Lane bright and early on Monday morning.

Sounds of kids screaming and giggling gave the house a sense of life that she had missed staying in her own home on her lonesome. Before she was fully through the door, Finn, who was slowly edging away from childhood, engulfed her with a hug. Having not known his own mother and barely remembering a time before Rose, he had a strong attachment to the woman who was not many years his senior.

"I'm glad you're back Rosie, I was worried you'd left me forever."

She hugged the boy back; he really was the little brother she had never had, and she'd missed him too.

"You know is never leave you mo rud'u, I love you too much."

He blushed at this, becoming embarrassed at seeking her affection when he was trying to prove to his brothers that he was basically an adult like them now. For Rose, it did not matter; no matter how tall he grew or how old he got, Finn would always be her rud'u, her sweetheart.

Saving him from embarrassment, Polly bellowed from the other room inviting Rose further into the Shelby household.

She walked into the kitchen where she found Polly sitting at the table with two cups of tea ready. The room hadn't changed in the time she had been gone, making her sigh in relief that some things remained even in a world that was changing on a daily basis. Taking her own seat, she picked up her cup gratefully. Polly knew how to make a splendid cup of tea and she appreciated it greatly.

"Am I gonna have to squeeze it out of you, or are you going to tell me what happened these last several months" Polly began the conversation.

She took a sip before replying, "I went to see my brother in London first, you remember I told you about his injury? Well, he is far too stubborn to admit it, but he really needed the help- that's why I was gone so long. All my family up that way tried to help him but he isn't half a pain to deal with even when he's in a good mood." She chuckled at her brother's antics, "They simply didn't have the time that I did. Eventually he got well enough to convince me to see my other brothers, but you know what they're like, living the nomadic lifestyle. Took me three weeks to catch up to them and they'd been travelling to the midlands anyway, so I though two birds one stone and came back up here with them."

Polly listened diligently, proving herself to be a good friend. She pitied the girl in front of her sometimes, having to care for someone so close to yourself brings its own toll, especially when you see the damage the war has done. It was strange to think that she was one of the lucky ones; her nephews escaped with only mental injuries. Hopefully like with physical wounds, the nurse in front of her could help them heal.

They chatted for hours in between monitoring the children but soon all time apart was forgotten. Both were laughing at one of Rose's tales from London when the rest of the family returned home.

"You should've seen it Pol, this giant scary man became so soft over this little puppy. I fear for anyone who does anything to that dog, Cyril is like his baby." She wiped a tear of laughter from her eye.

Tommy walked in at that, his very presence breaking the light atmosphere of the kitchen. That's when family business began. All it took were two words.

"Family meeting."